mufflers, what sounds good on the 1st gen. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

mufflers, what sounds good on the 1st gen.

93explorer4life

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomfield, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
no curent
ok ,i resently riped the old muffler out, so it is running strait catts, it dont sound to bad...i was shocked, but i ma wanting to get a new flowmaster for it.... but i dont know what one would make it sound pertty darn good, i got the 4.0 6 cil. so any one know leave one ight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

93explorer4life said:
ok ,i resently riped the old muffler out, so it is running strait catts, it dont sound to bad...i was shocked, but i ma wanting to get a new flowmaster for it.... but i dont know what one would make it sound pertty darn good, i got the 4.0 6 cil. so any one know leave one ight.
I bought the 40 series muffler from flowmaster. It is their sinle in dual 2.5 out. I had to remove my spare underneath, but I love the dual exhaust. sounds great too.

i went with the 40 series too but went single 2.5 inch pipe. i sounded good that way but i wanted more niose so i hollowed out the cat. i know im killing the enviroment but they are to expensive to replace. now it sounds great!

If you use the search feature on this site, you will find more than enough info on this exact same subject. By the way, i have a single in/out 2.25" deltaflow 40 series flowmaster. I love it!

Yes search if you want tons of info on this. I have a Magnaflow with 2.5" piping from the cat back, and single exit with the resonator removed. It has a low "drone" between 1500-1700 rpm, but other than that it sounds mean--not ricey at all.

I just installed the Flowmaster Force II catback on my '92, sounded ok with the '91 w/auto, but sounds great with the '92 w/5spd. Its not too loud, but it does bark when you step on it.

I wish I could make a vid of my 91's exhaust so you guys can hear it. I got the flowmaster force II exhaust, too, but since my cats were clogged up the muffler shop chopped them off and ran 2 1/2" pipe from the y-pipe to the muffler, then after the muffler its the mandrel bent 2 1/4" pipe that comes with the kit. The kit uses a 50 series flowmaster. It's really deep, and pretty loud. A few people have mistaken the the weak 4.0 for a v8 when they hear me rev. It sounds badass.

I had a flowmaster 40 with single 2.5 out, it sounded great, much better than the dynomax super turbo that I replaced it with

I got dual flowmasters.. i had one cat transferred to the new pipe

Before:

|||||||exhaust---Cat->Cat->Pipe->Muffler->Pipe
engine............. /
|||||||exhaust/

after:

||||||exhaust->Cat->Pipe->Flowmaster->Pipe
engine

mine sounds good... wish it had more glug glug, but I think its good. It might sound better if I was driving behind myself.... but that would be silly.

now i have heard that if you just have a single out you get a better sound then a dual, or a y pipe out the tail end.......which would be best, cause the dual has the looks ya know

squeege said:
I got dual flowmasters.. i had one cat transferred to the new pipe

Before:

|||||||exhaust---Cat->Cat->Pipe->Muffler->Pipe
engine............. /
|||||||exhaust/

after:

engine

mine sounds good... wish it had more glug glug, but I think its good. It might sound better if I was driving behind myself.... but that would be silly.

how does this work? I thought I just read that there is one cat, and a resonator, not 2 cats?

ive got a 40 series delta flow flowmaster with no catalytic converters.. i love it

Straight off the y-pipe sounds good on mine :) No I just "cleaned" my cats and am saving up for the flowmaster cat-back

Usually it's not necessary for me to be the one to say this because someone already has, but I've also never seen a thread with three people doing the same thing....running no functioning cat(s). This is completely illegal, totally irresponsible, and the cost just isn't enough reason to justify not running one...driving an explorer instead of a civic isn't cheap either. Our environment is something we need to be careful of, and I'm no hippie/tree hugger whatever you want to call it...just someone outraged by the stupidity of others.

Oh, I almost forgot. Because most of you are on this board, you've got some fab skills, or at least your having your muffler shop do custom stuff for you. Unlike the direct replacement cats which are $180 or something rediculous, you can get a universal for 40-50 and have it welded in. Thats what I'm doing this summer.

Birdman1 said:
how does this work? I thought I just read that there is one cat, and a resonator, not 2 cats?

No, my set-up was just like that. Two cats inline right after the y-pipe, then a huge muffler, then a small resonator.

Byrd91 said:
Usually it's not necessary for me to be the one to say this because someone already has, but I've also never seen a thread with three people doing the same thing....running no functioning cat(s). This is completely illegal, totally irresponsible, and the cost just isn't enough reason to justify not running one...driving an explorer instead of a civic isn't cheap either. Our environment is something we need to be careful of, and I'm no hippie/tree hugger whatever you want to call it...just someone outraged by the stupidity of others.

I have cats on my daily driver, but since I only put about 200-300 miles per month on the explorer I don't think it's so bad. Besides, now that my cats are gone the engine is running better. It has more power and it gets more MPG.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157160&highlight=catalytic
^Have you read this thread? Looks like the cats don't do much of anything.

If I lived in a state that had emissions tests, I would have cats but I like it alot better without them. Ive also got an 89 Silverado with 2 50 series flowmaster mufflers and no cats

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cats suck..

Back