Mustang transmission swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang transmission swap

Ok I think I understand what you did. You replaced your trannsmission and t-case with just a trannsmission, right?

Do you think the driveshaft difference was just the missing t-case?

Would you be able to measure your mustang tail housing for me? And the overall of the trannsmission? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea i get the measurements in the mourning...and i have the rp caster kit..i got it used so i had to fab up some things but i love it..hearing it makes u just keep pushing it to the floor...as of right now im stock internals with 200k on it but i have another engine im in the process of hunting and affording forged internals...i keep getting pestuered about why im wasting my money but its became on of those i dunno i just wanna try if i could surprise a srt 8 jeep owner one day ill be happy enough..i also get what u guys are saying a out the diffrences on shifting ill have to see if i notice it...i just kno i prob be shouldnt but i pulled my 03 5r55s pcm and tuner and only put in my stock 02 5r55w pcm to try to blow it up and trust me im trying...i prob look so foolish if i catch the red light first

Ok so the measurment of the trans is about 30" end to end well its as close as i could get with out the truck being put on the lift since its lowered and the driveshaft i had made was 61" not compressed...but to the shifting cuz it really has me curious..i stopped by my dads work to talk to there head transmission guy and his opinion was this..sometime last year they tried to put a 2008 4r70w trans out of a wrecked cop car into a 2004 cop car same exact trans..well everything hooked up perfect..when they test drove it the where going down the road at about 60 but the speedo was reading 80 then when they went to slow down it shifted to first and blew the trans..so they looked into it and the connectors are the same but the pinouts that go to the pcm are diffrent between the years...so from that it looks like i have to get the wiring diagram for my 2002 explorer and a 2005 mustang and even a 2003 explorer pcm to check that and maybe look into the logic of the shifting pattern..hopefully i can pull it off fordfleet or something...i just wish ford pcm's were like the honda's ive built cuz there so easy just solder in some resistors and a 28 pin eprom chip and i could make the car do anything i wanted even a launch controler

Not trying to hijack your thread!!! And i dont know how all this works exactly but since the f-150 had some years with a 4.6l why couldnt you pull a tranny out of one of those and drop it in, they had 4x4 models. would the transfer case be different? and if so could you swap in tranny and transfer case?

Thanks for the measurements. Mine measured about 32 inches. Either way I would have to have a driveshaft made up as the Explorer is a slip fit on the tranny and the Mustang uses a flange.

I don't think I'm too concerned if the PCM with be ok with the Mustang tranny since the Explorer and Mustang both use the same solenoid block and valve body.

Blue oval, We're talking about 4.0 trannys. The 4.6 has a different bellhousing. But as far as F-150 to Explorer to Mustang trannys I have no idea.

Hope you all had a good holiday season. I appreciate the replies. Would like to try and put this all together in my head before I start looking for parts and money. Correct me if I'm wrong.
First get 05-09 mustang block and adapt to work in the explorer. 2) obtain 05-09 mustang transmission and have drive shaft made to fit. 3) get 03 explorer pcm so it works with S transmission. 4) have pcm tuned for new transmission. 5) program pcm to recognize current key ( is there a special programmer to do this?). Did I miss anything?

Back