My 2001 Sport After destruction Before Finished... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2001 Sport After destruction Before Finished...

OK boys,

This is my first post. I've been lurking around the forum for a little while and decided to post some pics of my current "project"... This truck's got some history behind it. My parents owned the X when it was new. Long story short, after a tree fell on it, we repaired it and my sister drove it for awhile. After that she sold it to her husband's cousin. After a night of alleged drinking, he decided to take his aggression out on the golf course that he worked for. This little X caused over 15K damage to the golf course, but on the last "hole", he flipped it and went to jail. It sat on it's top all night. I acquired the truck by paying the wrecker fees. It made the news. (See the attached article)

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/19263752/man-charged-for-using-suv-to-tear-up-golf-course

Anyway, the before is after I chopped the top with a sawsall... I'll keep you posted on the progress.

DSCF8171.jpg

DSCF8290.jpg

DSCF8289.jpg

DSCF8283.jpg

DSCF8285.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Currrently working on tube doors. After that, shackles and TT, then 3" body lift, 33's and wheels, body work and paint. Then finishing touches (brush guard/winch, etc...) More pics to come.

The pics are there. That thing is sweet. :eek:

Excellent job on a vehicle that insurance companies would declare a total. :roll: = :thumbsup:

Took it through emissions the other day and got tags. Had to call my insurance and add liability to it just to make it street legal. The agent asked me twice if there were any scratches or dents. My reply was, " I just want liability". He said, "Oh right."

Nice fab work on that cage !

I Can't take credit for the cage. I had a place in town that makes rock crawlers do it. After weighing the cost of getting a decent bender, I decided it was better to let a shop do it. Also, my cage wouldn't have turned out as pretty. Now the doors are a different story. The hardest part should be making some sort of a latch, but I already have a couple of ideas in mind.

It looks too much like a Jeep now though.

I was gonna say it kinda looks like the old IH Scout II only updated design.

You could always do the door openings like the Scout had, I think it would look better then that big opening and tube doors. It would give more rigidity to the body.

(Picture from quick google search)

31654650002_large.jpg

That is neat! I can't wait to see it all lifted up and playing in the dirt.

That sport looks great. Would love to do that if I could find a wrecked ex. As a matter of fact I think there's one near a swap meet I could do this to....

Hopefully I will get the body work and paint done after the holidays. Then it's Line-x the floorboard and fender flares.

That thing is absolutely awesome. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's pretty cool! Reminds me of the Top Gear Espace.

587735.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah Nashville, interesting place. Cool looking idea. I like the early bronco styling of it. Now if you could make a top for it, I remember the rains out there! This thing is pretty sweet! I'd say you were smart to go to the shop and have the cage built, the benders if you don't use them really aren't worth the money

Back