My 2nd Gen iPad Install (LOTS OF PICS) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2nd Gen iPad Install (LOTS OF PICS)

Looking Good Brian , Glad you filled in that void , it will look much better when its all said and done , Keep up the good work !

Yea it just started not looking right the way it was, I just kept seeing it as an iPad case slapped onto the bezel lol.

It is coming along great. Should a a really cool addition to your system. Just curious, isn't that ipad going to cover the climate control?

Yea it will cover them, BUT I have steering wheel controls, and I rarely ever change the settings. (in winter it's on floor/defrost and summer its on max ac). My steering wheel can adjust the temp and fan speed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know you are far now, but Fiberglass may have been easier, and a lot lighter. but so far so good, I really like this idea. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Have you thought about adding a Wi/Fi or Bluetooth OBD-II connector that plugs into your Explorer's OBD-II and with the right app will give you all the engine performance and trip computer data you could ask for?

DashCommand makes a great setup but is pricey. There are many on the market. I use an ELM Scan for my laptop but they now have WI/Fi and Bluetooth modules that work very well. GOPOINT, EvoScan, PLX are just a few companies that come to mind.

I plain on doing this with my 2000 Eddie Bauer and its space killing trip computer. Want to yank that thing out and put an Asus Transformer there with a WI/Fi or BT OBD-II. It will give me far more data than the trip computer does, including 0-60 times, all sorts of engine diagnostics including dummy light explanation, fuel pressure at each injector, O2 sensor data.....the list goes on and on. Check the app store for those compatible with the iPad.

Great job so far.

Thanks man! I had the idea in the back of my head, it would definitely be cool, but from what ive heard, those bluetooth OBDII devices are a pretty penny for a good one. My friend bought one on eBay for $30 for the "Torque" app for Android devices, but its got a very slow sending rate, so the app shows the data really skippy. Its decent for MPG's, fuel levels, etc but like the tach, and speedo suck.

Do you have any links to what your talking about specifically? (The bluetooth modules, not the Apps)

But ive made a little more progress, sanded ALOT, and filled in some holes and imperfections, but I still have a few, and I need to go buy another sanding block, mine is worn out finally.

d7420f4d.jpg

cffe19d9.jpg

d8359d41.jpg

This side has some deep scratches that need to be sanded out, and this side will be done.
1433fc59.jpg

Also; if anyones been checking out my registry, you'll have learned that im gonna be selling my X here this year sometime... (Which means ill be selling these 2 pieces...)

Thanks man! I had the idea in the back of my head, it would definitely be cool, but from what ive heard, those bluetooth OBDII devices are a pretty penny for a good one. My friend bought one on eBay for $30 for the "Torque" app for Android devices, but its got a very slow sending rate, so the app shows the data really skippy. Its decent for MPG's, fuel levels, etc but like the tach, and speedo suck.

Do you have any links to what your talking about specifically? (The bluetooth modules, not the Apps)

Ya Brian, there are a lot of cheap solutions out there that report in a snapshot way rather than giving you a constant stream. Most of the Bluetooth versions don't/cant work because of the way Apple locks down Bluetooth in its hardware. Jailbreaking can get around it but 3rd party scanner companies don't build them for that market. The best setup is from Palmer Performance Engineering and it would be their WiFi OBDlink + DasnCommand. Its not clear if the DashCommand version that comes in the $229 package deal is the same app that is found in the App Store. However, you can buy the scanner separate and get the App off the App Store. Its really quite amazing what this setup can do. Check it out. This shows it running on the iPhone but the same program scales up to the iPad 2 resolution and looks amazing:

http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/iphone/index.php

That's awesome, I just checked it out and it looks great! I'm wondering if his Bluetooth scanner would be compatible with the app. My iPhone is jailbroken, and you bet damn well that when they finally release the 5.1 A5 jailbreak that my iPad will be jailbroken.

I use the Activator app, and set it to unlock and goto "Music" when power is connected (Key turned on!) and to automatically pause and lock when power is disconnected (Key turned off).

Damnit! I forgot to grab more sandpaper before the hardware store closed! Another night of no progress, and I have to work the next 2 days all day. SOB!

Got quite a few solid hours of working on her tonight:

:D
c5b1b47e.jpg

After taking this picture, I remembered I forgot to fill that stupid void in the front of the small cupholder, so tomorrow ill get that filled. (It looks stupid the way it is)

I was gonna fill in that WHOLE slot in the cupholder, but its a tricky spot to get to, so I figured ill just "round off" the cupholder, and then throw a few LEDs under there just for looks.

This is before sanding;
6f89f6ac.jpg

1b02d60b.jpg

I have until 3 before I have to leave for work, so im really hoping to get these painted by the time I leave or at least ready for paint by the time I get home tonight. (Judging that im not there til 4am again lol!)

First coat of paint on the iPad mount, and shot the console with primer, wet sanded, and then did another coat of primer only for it to totally mess everything up. The primer seperated and "stretched" and left huge low spots, its terrible, and im pissed so im done for today. I was really hoping later on to get it painted.

Any problem getting cds out with the deck at such an angle? I was considering doing something similar since yours is turning out so well. I will however be mounting my phone in the bezel. Galaxy Note :)

Ive had this deck a little over a year I think, and its only saw 1 CD and that was a friends :D Haha, but no, there were no problems. The only problem might be the non-powered faceplates that just "drop" to expose the CD slot, you might have to assist it when you're lowering the faceplate, but mine has a damn strong spring, so it still came down.

Ive had this deck a little over a year I think, and its only saw 1 CD and that was a friends :D Haha, but no, there were no problems. The only problem might be the non-powered faceplates that just "drop" to expose the CD slot, you might have to assist it when you're lowering the faceplate, but mine has a damn strong spring, so it still came down.

:D I don't intend on using CDs either but I want to keep the option. Keep up the good work.

Thanks man! But yea I hear you, ive started seeing decks now that dont even have CD slots anymore, just a flipdown faceplate that reveals a spot for an ipod/mp3 player, or SD cards.

Yeah, I would look into getting a DVD player but I can put them on my phone easier and I haven't seen an in-dash DVD player that doesn't have a garbage UI. I mean, damn, if I'm gonna pay nearly $600 for an HU it better look nice too. haha.

I basically will be sticking with an HU because it's easier to use an AUX port than to run a 3.5 jack directly to the speakers.

I couldnt have said it better myself.

I like the Pioneer Avic-X920BT, and simaler units, but they still go used for 600 or more.

I bought my current HU specifically because the USB and 3.5mm Aux inputs are on the back. I dont care for having them on the front, especially with the iPad install, I dont want wires dangling all over.

Ive saw a few iPad installs, where they mounted the iPad right in front of a double din, I think thats just stupid! I would have loved to keep my previous double din and mount it where I am, and use it strickly for Nav. That would have been cool, but I got an offer for it I couldnt really refuse.

I couldnt have said it better myself.

I like the Pioneer Avic-X920BT, and simaler units, but they still go used for 600 or more.

I bought my current HU specifically because the USB and 3.5mm Aux inputs are on the back. I dont care for having them on the front, especially with the iPad install, I dont want wires dangling all over.

Ive saw a few iPad installs, where they mounted the iPad right in front of a double din, I think thats just stupid! I would have loved to keep my previous double din and mount it where I am, and use it strickly for Nav. That would have been cool, but I got an offer for it I couldnt really refuse.

Yeah, unfortunately the HU I have currently doesn't have USB and the AUX is on the front. :thumbdwn: I think I'm gonna go for a unit with Bluetooth so I can eliminate cords all together unless I can find one that supports MTP and Android through USB. That is something I haven't even looked into, so it may be readily available. Any progress on the console or dash?

Not lately, ran out of sandpaper, and I'm on a very tight budget right now so I put it on hold for a bit. I was damn near close to done, but kept having problems with the paint, and I would spend an hour at a time sanding it all back down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not lately, ran out of sandpaper, and I'm on a very tight budget right now so I put it on hold for a bit. I was damn near close to done, but kept having problems with the paint, and I would spend an hour at a time sanding it all back down.

I understand about the budget. :thumbdwn:
I understand about being within an hour or so of being done too. :thumbdwn:

Alright, well, keep us updated. I definitely want to see it when it's done.:salute:

Back