• Register Today It's free!

My $3300 visit to the dealership

Bozman

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer
I am a new member and I would like to contribute some content here for others.
Before bringing my truck in for service I did my research using this forum.
My experience with this truck has been good so far, just routine oil changes and several items covered under warranty.

2003 XLT explorer 4.0 with 46,000 miles
Here is what I gave the dealer as a list of concerns: Pricing and responses also included

1) New tires
2) Oil Change
3) Transfer case Oil change (last changed at 24,440)
4) Change both F+R differential fluid (3.55 ratio regular axle)

-Inspect brakes they squeal (rotors and pads replaced at 33285 miles by private garage) Changed brakes, rotors were to far gone after only 13,000 mls.
-Inspect coil springs (see if any are broken truck appears to lean to one side from the back) Coils were fine

-ABS light comes on sometimes Brake switch replaced

- Humming and wobble sound constant at mid speed (possible wheel bearing or unbalanced tire?) Bearings were fine/ the old tires caused the humming wobble.

- Slight whining sound only when gas is applied. Faulty water pump

-When making sharp turn, wheels feel like they are binding as if the AWD system is engaging. Nothing found

-loud hissing/whining sound momentarily inside cabin in the cold weather only when accelerating. Nothing mentioned

-The transmission will hesitate to go into gear then suddenly will engage. This happens at slow speed when applying the accelerator. This does not happen frequently
Already had most up to date PCM flash

Pricing for the above:
-Brake service replace rotors pads/replace E-brake and service/ flush fluid: parts 485/labor 749= $1235
-new tires $726 ($60 mail in coupon from manf)
-replace brake switch $90
-ab switch assembly $28
- flush and replace all fluids transfer case/axle/engine oil $519
-replace water pump/coolant flush $686
Labor 1324
Parts 1842
Total with tax 3388

I was able to negotiate several hundred off of the original estimate and some of it was packaged but the final bill of $3388 was still a bit of a shock. The truck runs better but unfortunately after changing the tires a new problem surfaced. The rims were badly corroded/oxidized so the tires cannot seat properly. (Already have a post going for this issue.)

Enjoy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$1235 for brakes, $519 for fluid changes = Yup

This is WHY you dont go to the dealer
You could have bought a running V8 Explorer for $3300

dealership = stealership
they didnt address any of your concerns either it sounds like, $90 brake switch WOW WOW WOW thats a $3.50 part takes 5 minutes to replace

I had the same thing with my brakes and rotors. A 60,000 mile service quoted at $150 turned into $1400 after they checked the anchors. This was from a non factory mechanic. The dealer..stealer wanted $350 for the service, bloody glad I didnt go through them with my brakes who knows how much I'd be out of pocket. At least my handbrake works now haha.

This is an example of why I go to the dealer very rarely if at all. I posted recently that I was taking mine in (today actually) for the first time in years.

My recommendation: fix yourself or find a good independant shop.

There is little incentive for the dealer to find ways to save you money.

wow. I notice your in NJ, you didnt go to Larson Ford by any chance did you? I notice they like to add things I dont need and miss things I do. They completely missed the bad wheel bearing in the back I had that was bad on one visit for an oil change but magically fixed itself on the next.

HOLY S**T!!!!! If you exclude the tires, I could have done that at home for under $500...

Pricing from Advance Auto Parts Online for your vehicle:
Water Pump $69.99
Brake Switch $9.99
Front Brake Pads $28.99
Rear Brake Shoes $24.99
E-Brake Shoes $44.99
Front Rotor Pair $105.98
Rear Rotor Pair $91.98
Fluids Approx. $35

TOTAL Job: $411.91 + Tax

Hate to say it, but you got hosed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:frustrate

BTW, what tires did you put on?

Liccardi Ford

Goodyear Fortera

water under the bridge for me but really what gets me ticked off is the fact that the wheels are leaking air slowly :mad:

liccardi? Where are you located? I am just down the road in the somerville area if you ever need help with anything and don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money:D

Located Bridgewater, and if anyone could recommend a good shop for the future that would be appreciated!
Back in the day when I had my F-150 I would tackle some of these jobs, but over the years the furthest I will go is Internet diagnosing. Aside from the old clogged sunroof drain or other minor work I will take it to a shop. This is only the second time out of warranty that work has been needed…

Vespia's in raritan/somerville is pretty good and their prices aren't bad, ask to speak with Jeremy, he knows what he is doing. There is also allen and son in Branchburg on 202, they are very good but aren't the cheapest. Those are the places my parents used to bring their cars until I got old enough to do the majority of the work needed for our cars. If you think its something small you ever need feel free to PM me though, I am in branchburg so im 10 minutes from you. I also have a lot of random parts.

Might want to invest some time into a auto class at local college could save you some money in the future to do it yourself.

unless you got $ to blow.

Bozman
Why did you post this? Is this a warning or what?

wow. I notice your in NJ, you didnt go to Larson Ford by any chance did you? I notice they like to add things I dont need and miss things I do. They completely missed the bad wheel bearing in the back I had that was bad on one visit for an oil change but magically fixed itself on the next.

You mean Larsony ford? Yeah..I'm in Lakewood and they charged me $880 for front brakes..then noted my tail light was out but didn't replace the bulb. F'n jerks. I'll never go back there again..service is VERY nice and professional..too bad they suck.

So you actually paid them that amount to fix it, or did you just get a quote from them?

My work is slower than a hard turd. I will gladly do your repair service for you, you pay better than my job does.

LOL I hear ya! so true.... for every stealership rip job there is a back yard mechanic on craigslist screaming "Why!!!?!!" at the sky

The work has been done already. I posted this as more of an FYI. Take what you want from it.
I found it helpfull in other posts when pricing was included.

You mean Larsony ford? Yeah..I'm in Lakewood and they charged me $880 for front brakes..then noted my tail light was out but didn't replace the bulb. F'n jerks. I'll never go back there again..service is VERY nice and professional..too bad they suck.

The people there are nice and there body shop does outstanding work, just the service dept sucks. Actually even the sales dept was nice. I take mine to Ventus auto on park ave now. Hes knows his stuff and doesnt charge a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is way more than $35 in fluids there.
oil - $20
Anti-freeze $15
Trans fluid (transfercase) $15
rear diff $20
front diff $15

Still would have been well under $500 to do at home..:p:

:mattmoon:

Back