My Ford Touch/Sync | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Ford Touch/Sync

dave1946

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 ford explorer
I have an Explorer limited that was built around the 16th of Feb. I've had it about 1 1/2 weeks and put about 3000 miles on it. I have had no problems with the My Ford Touch. It has version 2.4. Ford says that the vs. 2.7 must be installed by the dealer and if I am not having problems I don't need to get the update now. I've heard that the dealer will install it for free until Jan of 2012. I didn't think updates cost money? Should I get it done now anyway or wait awhile?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd wait..if ain't broke, don't fix it.
I believe there will be a newer version(2.8) available to dealers very soon--being put on the Exs right now.

2.8 may be available soon. but obviously ford knows there are issues so you should update it. I work at a ford dealer and i know we charge for sync updates. up to you whether you want to get it done now for free or later when you have problems and have to pay for it. i know we charge like $71 to update.

Ford has made it very clear there will be NO CHARGE for these upgrades(until Jan 2012)..so how is it your dealership is charging people?

I never said we were charging for this upgrade yet. But all sync systems get updated and that's what we charge for the older ones

I guess your wording is what made me question you charging for it.

I never said we were charging for this upgrade yet. But all sync systems get updated and that's what we charge for the older ones

When the car was sold to us, we were told that updates would be available and user installable from the syncmyride.com site. I'm going to dare my dealer to ever try to charge me for an update.

Also, as said before by me and others. Unless Ford and/or the dealership can outline exactly what has been changed, fixed, or removed from a release, then they also won't be able to ever start charging for updates. You have to be able to describe a product you are selling.

I love the vehicle, but I'm disappointed with the lack of communication from the sync team, and lack of knowledge from the dealerships regarding the Sync technology. So far there have been 2 updates being shipped since I bought the car (I'm on 2.4.. 2.7, and now 2.8 are being installed). Neither of these updates are going to be user installable? Why promote that we will be able to update the device ourselves?

An iPhone, iPad, Android phone, etc can all be plugged into my computer via USB and the entire ROM can be installed and configured without the need to drop the device off to the apple store, or cell phone store. This was sold as being just as simple, only... apparently it's not because the service departments can't even properly do the updates in a reasonable amount of time.

I've yet to see the Sync website be utilized for pushing an update through minor or major. Question is will it ever or is this system to complex or does Ford not trust their owners to not crash/break their MFT, where's the Ctrl-Alt-Del on this baby.

all sync updates are not covered under warranty since sync started.

since the 2011 ex problems. ford is going to allow for a year of the new model for dealers not to charge customers but charge ford to update them.

then after that date, lets say you want your local ford dealership to update it lets say in 2013, you will pay for it.

this is done since syncmyride does it from home.

all sync updates are not covered under warranty since sync started.

since the 2011 ex problems. ford is going to allow for a year of the new model for dealers not to charge customers but charge ford to update them.

then after that date, lets say you want your local ford dealership to update it lets say in 2013, you will pay for it.

this is done since syncmyride does it from home.

YMMV as with all things. My 08 got two dealer updates free (that I didn't even ask for).

Also, as pointed out above, syncmyride does not have MFT updates for users on it.

Edit-to the OP. I'm on 2.4and problem free. I'm waiting for 2.8 before I bother.

So the question is in the future will we be able to update from home for free or shell out money to have a dealer do it after 2012 allowance runs out.

Look at thread "New tsb for sync and myford touch" for latest TSB for Sync

So the question is in the future will we be able to update from home for free or shell out money to have a dealer do it after 2012 allowance runs out.

This is my first Ford vehicle, and if after 2012 they want to charge me for an update, this will be my last.

This is my first Ford vehicle, and if after 2012 they want to charge me for an update, this will be my last.

Same here! WTH does a 3yr 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty cover these days? If there is a flaw with MFT that requires an update to fix, it better damn well be covered under warranty.

Updates to fix bugs ARE covered by the warranty. The exclusions in the warranty for sync cover loss of data, installation of unauthorized software or other code, etc. The warranty exclusions do not include software bugs.

I am awaiting order on a 2011 Ex and am very excited about MFT even though I know it will be a bit buggy because this is the first year. One of the reasons I placed my order for 2011 instead of waiting is the availability of software updates/fixes via download (something the consumer electronics consuming public has become very used to especially with respect to smart phones, pads and computing devices). Ford's CEO has gone out of his way to say that these bug fix updates would be made available to its customers for free and I would expect that "updates" (to fix bugs) would always be available free (I am happy to do this myself if it is available online, but don't think we should be forced to pay a dealer for the update if the do it yourself online installation is not available).

Same here! WTH does a 3yr 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty cover these days? If there is a flaw with MFT that requires an update to fix, it better damn well be covered under warranty.

fixes are covered, upgrades are not.

when you buy a pc, do you ship it back to the seller to "upgrade it"?

Of course not, but I don't have to pay MS to install a service pack nor do I have to take my computer to best buy to have it done. I also get a list of what the update does.

I don't think you're paying attention to the complaints...

1. Ford isn't telling us what's in the updates
2. Ford is acting if they are being generous by providing one year of free updates
3. So far, none of the updates have been able to be user accomplished as advertised on Syncmyride.

Anyone who thinks it's ok to have to drop off your car at the dealership and pay them $71 for a service pack that you have no idea what it does is out to lunch.

When you buy a PC it's expected to come with a well tested, stable, and usable version of the operating system. You are also entitled to free updates to that major version of operating system. Microsoft still releases updates, bug fixes, and security fixes to Windows XP even though windows 7 is out. I expect that stability fixes, bug fixes, and minor feature additions would be free for the life of the vehicle.

That being said, a major update (one that introduces significant feature additions, UI changes, and performance enhancements) should cost an insignificant amount, and such updates should be able to be performed by the consumer. Apple charges 29.99 for the Snow Leopard update, Microsoft charges between 49.99 and 129.99 for the Windows 7 Upgrade.

All that being said, this is not a stable, usable version of the operating system. It's seriously flawed, and that's concerning. This isn't a beta vehicle, it's a full scale production environment, and Sync 2.x is not up to par in its present state.

When you buy a PC it's expected to come with a well tested, stable, and usable version of the operating system. You are also entitled to free updates to that major version of operating system. Microsoft still releases updates, bug fixes, and security fixes to Windows XP even though windows 7 is out. I expect that stability fixes, bug fixes, and minor feature additions would be free for the life of the vehicle.

That being said, a major update (one that introduces significant feature additions, UI changes, and performance enhancements) should cost an insignificant amount, and such updates should be able to be performed by the consumer. Apple charges 29.99 for the Snow Leopard update, Microsoft charges between 49.99 and 129.99 for the Windows 7 Upgrade.

All that being said, this is not a stable, usable version of the operating system. It's seriously flawed, and that's concerning. This isn't a beta vehicle, it's a full scale production environment, and Sync 2.x is not up to par in its present state.

again, apple charges per update, less its an iphone, 10 for ipod/ipad etc. more for these os as you pointed out.

microsoft less its a major upgrade does not charge for updates right? sp1, sp2, sp3 etc?

you got from xp to vista to win7 you pay right? major updates?

sync has a portal, user will be able to update it in time. when ford releases new updates.

there is a dealer way to upgrade also, pay someone to do it for you.

as it stands now, only reason i see why dealers are updating it, is over cip of sync which is never changed changes now.

and since its bugged, they are offering dealer free reprogramming till as people have mentioned till 2012.

if you wait till 2013 yes you will pay.

if you have sync v1.0 or pre mft and want dealers to update it, its a cpl or paid by cust option this has been like this since sync came out.

my best guess why dealers do it free and ford picks up the tab is due to web page development for sync v2.

since ford really dont tells us much on this issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree 100%....bang on !

Back