My FX4 Level II 5.0L V8 swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My FX4 Level II 5.0L V8 swap

Very good, nice paint, and a Chevy 302 is so rare that the emblems are useless for Chevy guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice swap, Id love to do a 5.0 swap in my Sport later

Bob,

What was involved in making the explorer climate control work ? I just happen to have a ranger now and I also have the Expo electronics from a 2000 Limited.
Since my Rangers AC seems a little screwy anyway, maybe a this would help.

(screwy as in the AC wants to run on all but one position (and off) on the control panel)

Cheers

Bob,

What was involved in making the explorer climate control work ? I just happen to have a ranger now and I also have the Expo electronics from a 2000 Limited.
Since my Rangers AC seems a little screwy anyway, maybe a this would help.

(screwy as in the AC wants to run on all but one position (and off) on the control panel)

Cheers
It needs the EATC head unit, EATC blend door actuator, three sensors, fan speed control module, sample tube, a relay or two and a bunch of wiring. Here is a well documented how-to:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/14

Great write up there.
I have all that stuff just sitting around, in fact I have the whole explorer loom for my rod, but I was hoping to keep it all.

I was actually hoping the ranger swap was simpler, I may pass.
At least until I am bored one day and do it.
Maybe I should wait until I have a functional reverse gear !

Super nice truck! Im startin my 5.0 Swap soon! Just got my donor explorer!

nice swap! looks real clean. just last night a friend of mine with an '03 ranger was asking me how to get more power for towing. i jokingly said he should put a 5.0 in it. wait till he sees this thread.

Guys look at the date of these threads. this one is from 2007.

Hi Bob. I've been searching for days on the internet for an answer. It seems you are the only person in existence that knows anything about this. I wanted to PM you but can't find out how to do that on this forum. I hope you see this post. My question is at the bottom. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing
Exactly. Some Rangers from 1998~2001.5 did the VSS correction/conversion in the GEM. My Ranger still has its original GEM for its timing functions but uses the added 2001 2.5 GEM just for the VSS conversion.

It is possible that the GEM from a 98~2000 RABS Ranger might also work. I chose the 2001 2.5 because, to the best of my knowledge, it was the only time on any RBV that the factory had the 4WABS and the GEM connected to the same input from the rear axle ABS sensor.

Before getting around to adding the 01 Ranger GEM, I had also tried two 4WABS Modules - the original for the Ranger's 4WABS plus another from the 5.0 Explorer just for the speed conversion. That didn't work - apparently the rear axle ABS sensor could not supply two 4WABS Modules at once.

I put a lot of time into this because I didn't want to give up the EBFD proportioning on my Ranger when I did the 5.0L conversion.

Hi. I found this old post and would like to try this fix. I'll need the pinout or wiring diagram for the 2001 2.5L ranger GEM. Can you help? I just put a 2001 Mountaineer 5.0L in an early Bronco. Now I'm hooking up the cruise control from the 01 in the Bronco and found the 4wabs converts the signal and I think this fix will do the job without trying to use the 4wabs stuff.

I am wanting to do this exact conversion to my truck. How is it holding up and/or are you still driving it? Interested in seeing photos as this thread is older. PM the photos if ya could. I was looking at doing an AOD tranny also. Looking back, would you go with another auto tranny, like a C6 or C4?

Back