• Register Today It's free!

My new fiberglass box

Good Times

Reaction score
City, State
So. Cal.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Low Roller
So I came on here a while back saying I was going to build a custom fiberglass box and show everyone how I built it for those that don't know how to build one. However, I had to many projects I had to finish on other peoples cars so I didn't have the time to even start, so I thought I would at least give this forum something. Here's the box I just finished.
http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/401698/2
The box fits over the wheel well and sticks out roughly 10” from the edge of the wheel well. I started the box building process by building the basic structure I was looking for. I achieved the rounded look in the corners by bending the mdf through the technique that can found in the Sounddomain Audio forum. From there I used fleece for the fiberglass structure and added about 4-5 layers of roughly 1/8” thick fiber mat. I smoothed the rough surface of the glass with Rage Gold filler and layed several coats of primer over the entire structure and sanding between each coat. The reason for this is, is the filler and wood absorb the primer differently and you don't want to be able to tell where the line of the two meet. After that I laid the white base coat, then the green flame, followed by the blue base. Once everything was color sanded, I had my dad detial the flames a bit and lay a silver pin stripe down. Then came the 4-5 layes of clear coat with the sanding and polishing to get that glass surface look.
The subs are being powered by a US Amps DE-1000 amp wired to 1 ohm. It hits solid and loud for being a sealed box (I love the bass from ported boxes).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice Job, I want one... Can I pick my own colors ?

Looks awesome! I have something similar planned but may integrate may amps into the whole piece. Likely sone next month or so. I like the paint you did.

looks great!

ifyou are going to try to have cargo space though and hide it off to the side like that how can you also have it painted? doesn't that basically negate the cargo space near it due to the danger of things scratching it?

Nasty350LT1 if your serious then pm.

As for the question about the cargo space I carry a thick blanket that pretty much protects it and I'm very careful with what I carry in the cargo area. For the most part, I play hockey for my college so I have to transport my goalie gear to and from the rink as well as a couple golf bags when me and my friends decide to hit the links.

I like Fabric glasses. Fabrics glasses are available in different design and colors. These glasses are very attractive.

Thread was from 2006? How did you find this one?

Myself and Whitaker think its a fake account / spammer, he has brought back 2 older threads as well.

Back