My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 104 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

I need some advice

Today...the over drive light on my dash started flashing. The over drive works, but it's shifting hard from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. Does anyone have any ideas of what's goin on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi aldive.Just keep patient. You shouldn't be anxious. :)

05', 4.0L, 3.55 gears, mobil 1 engine oil, intake, exhaust, sct tuner 93 oct, 235/70/16 michilens

legit city driving ( philadelphia )... 9-10 mpg

man some of you guys complain about 13,14,15 mpg. I would be STOKED !! for those numbers...

im going to be getting my trans / diffs flushed with Mobil 1 ATF, getting a wheel bearing replaced, fuel filter replaced also...

maybe also consider sea foam in the X...

see if that helps any... ill even be happy for 12 lol

It appears that you are doing all of the right things, but have you considered Is it possible for you to consider moving to 3.73 gears
05', 4.0L, 3.55 gears, mobil 1 engine oil, intake, exhaust, sct tuner 93 oct, 235/70/16 michilens

legit city driving ( philadelphia )... 9-10 mpg

man some of you guys complain about 13,14,15 mpg. I would be STOKED !! for those numbers...

im going to be getting my trans / diffs flushed with Mobil 1 ATF, getting a wheel bearing replaced, fuel filter replaced also...

maybe also consider sea foam in the X...

see if that helps any... ill even be happy for 12 lol

wouldnt 3.73 gears give me worse mileage ? especially @ hwy speeds ?

Man 32mpg would be nice!

'98 5.0 V8 AWD

When mine was bone stock. I got around 26.5 with a LIGHT foot and only on the highway.

Now with custom exhaust, 6" of lift, 33x12.5 tires
NO running boards, spare tire, or anything but the driver (sometimes pass) I can get MAYBE 17.9 with no traffic on the highway, and around 14.2 city.

I average about 260-289 miles a tank

Im thinking about taking it back to stock and maybe even lowering it. Cause im not looking forward to these $5/gal gas prices that are supposed to appear soon.

wouldnt 3.73 gears give me worse mileage ? especially @ hwy speeds ?

not necessarily. Lower RPMS ≠ better MPG. While lower RPMs can mean better MPG, it is not always the case.

Man 32mpg would be nice!

'98 5.0 V8 AWD

When mine was bone stock. I got around 26.5 with a LIGHT foot and only on the highway.

Now with custom exhaust, 6" of lift, 33x12.5 tires
NO running boards, spare tire, or anything but the driver (sometimes pass) I can get MAYBE 17.9 with no traffic on the highway, and around 14.2 city.

I average about 260-289 miles a tank

Im thinking about taking it back to stock and maybe even lowering it. Cause im not looking forward to these $5/gal gas prices that are supposed to appear soon.

when mine was completely stock, I was lucky to get 16. I now get ~10.5 on average with mixed city/highway

We just got back from a Colorado ski trip in Keystone. We drove from Houston to Keystone in our 98 Explorer Sport, 100% bone stock with 101k miles, 3.73 SOHC 2wd. We had her loaded down pretty good with luggage, 2 adults and 1 kiddo and averaged about 18mpg doing 70mph on cruise when possible. This was partial mountain driving and at altitude, and our mpg ranged from a low of 16 and a high of 21.

I thought it was pretty good.

Allright I can't believe no one has already...I'm calling BULLSHIT...Al, you are full of Bull Butter! you aint gettin 30 outta that thing unless you but a focus motor in it

Apparently, you didn't bother to spend the time read the entire thread and digest what has been done to the vehicle, and how it was tested etc. Otherwise you would know people have confronted him about the 30mpg, and he has shown he is doing it and it is very possible.

Also, you would have noticed that he will not respond to you since he passed away 9 months or so ago.

~Mark

MY 99 sport is getting 23 mpg up from 19 mpg with no mod or changes. I rolled back on the gas from 75 mph @ 2600 rpm to 58 mph 1800 rpm. With gas at 4.15 pg and commuting 100 miles one way i just cant aford the gas so i had to slow way down.

I'm getting better than 24 mpg out of a 92 with 4wd that still isn't very modified. It would be EASY to get 30 out of a 2nd gen 2wd with the SOHC.

A focus motor would get worse mileage... it wouldn't have the torque.

104 pages of post about people NOT getting 30 MPG. I don't mind reading a good discussion thread but this is way too long.

Can anyone who is familiar with this thread give us a readers digest version of actual improvements over stock? :thumbsup:

20 and 21 mpg (american gallons) on the highway. I live in British Columbia and was travelling from Vancouver to Kelowna and back in the winter. on the trip i met snow in higher elevations but i did not drive over 100 kph slowing to 80 kph going up some hills. the trip consisted of another passenger and i pack for the weekend. i simply drove my truck nicely.

possibly significant mods:
new spark plugs
removed resonator
enviro save fluids in both difs
old but cleaned air filter
synthetic oil
old hard tires
3.73 gears

2000 explorer Limited AWD 5.0L 230,000kms

the best ive done is 27.5 mpg. i squeezed 500+ miles on that tank! i stripped down my ST at the time, no tow hooks, no roof rack, no camper shell. changed up my driving habits. became a cruise control freak, drove like a grandma, looked for alternate routes containing less stop lights and signs, bought my gas at the coldest part of the night, all that good stuff.

Greetings all,

I have owned a 98 Ranger XLT since 2000, and currently have 245,000 miles on it. I just bought a 98 Eddie Bauer explorer with 101k on it. Really loving it so far!

I haven't read all 20 million posts on here, but will try. Can someone give me the latest run-down on current top mods to increase MPG? I'm planning to get the K&N air filter, and am trying to read through the posts, but you normally go from oldest to newest, so that puts me at 2002 information! I'd like to get current ASAP.

Thanks folks,

Bob
;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just found this thread and wanted to input. My 99 limited 4X4 4.0 sohc is now getting 30 average mpg on the highway. I changed the 4.10 gears to 3.73 and use 5w30. still has plenty of power, and by the way, my engine has over 320,000 miles!

Back