My rear passenger window is not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My rear passenger window is not working.

kmannen

Reaction score
City, State
raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
All of a sudden the back passenger window stopped working. It will not go down when i press either the driver side button or the button on the door itself. It doesn't sound like the motor is running at all, it's silent. Is this a fuse that needs to be replace, a detached wire, or do i need a new button? please let me know if you can help me. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome kmannen

Every time I have had a power lock or window issue I have traced it back to the wires in the boot between the front drivers side door hinges. Regardless of the door having trouble, that is where I have found the trouble. Actually my electric mirror defrost wires broke at that location a few times as well. I just cut into the boot and found the wires separated. This was after a few hours of pulling and testing all of the switches. You can get a manual at the library and do all of the testing but odds are you will end up finding the broken wire there. You should be able to search and find various issues with the ex's door wiring. I have fixed at least 10 of them with this issue. Reminds me to fix my 96's today.

If you don't find a broken wire in the boot/door hinge as smash said...

Pop the offending window's door panel, and unhook the plug for the motor. Use a couple small wire leads and a battery- (you can use a cordless drill battery if you don't have a loose car battery around) and hook wires to the harness for the window motor. See if it moves up and down (switch connections on the battery to go up then down)

If it moves, it's a switch/wiring problem. If it doesn't, it's a motor problem instead/also.

Back