My review of the 12 X Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My review of the 12 X Limited

MikeFreas

Reaction score
City, State
VA Beach VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
It’s been a long road but I finally picked up my X today and like promised I’m doing a review of the vehicle.

If you want details read below. So far I absolutely love the X and all of the features. I came close to canceling my order a few times because of the negative stuff on the MFT and other issues but I’m glad (so far) I didn’t.

The vehicle is a 12 limited 302A, AWD, dual sunroof’s, tow package, DVD players and roof rails. Basically it has everything on it but the mud flaps.

I arrived at the dealer about 3 this afternoon and the X was cleaned and ready for me. After some initial paperwork and insurance stuff I actually got to take a look at it for any issues.

I inspected all the problem areas I’ve read about such as the A pillar covers and the bubbly paint in the roof rack channel. The A pillar covers were fastened solid or so it seems and the paint is perfect. The roof rack channels had the uneven paint as some have described. I have to say that Ford could do themselves a favor and fix this as it looks bad and causes questions. I’m going to keep a eye on it for sure.

The salesman did a quick overview of the sync system before our test drive. Until I requested to take the car around the block I don’t think he had any intention of taking it for a drive before I signed the bottom line.

The test drive was short and with the radio off so I could hear any rattles and listen for the A pillar noise. Everything worked great except the MFT, more on that below.

Ok, here is the breakdown of stuff so far.

MFT- The system rebooted during my test drive after I requested the salesman use the Nav system to show me how it works. During the reboot, which lasted less than a minute, the AC and radio still worked and I had volume control of the stereo. When the system quit working and we sat in silence for about 15 seconds I said to him “it looks like the system just rebooted” to which he replied “yup”. I guess he wasn’t going to point out that the screen went completely blank and wasn’t working like I wouldn’t catch that. After I purchased the vehicle I wanted to tax the system as much as I could to really see how it did. I entered a route in the Nav system, started on my way, then started using the sync system allot. A few times it was slow to acknowledge the steering wheel button push but it did work the entire time I drove around yesterday. For someone like me who is a tech person and has done allot of research the system isn’t that confusing to use. If you aren’t that type of person it’s going to take a bit longer to be able to use all of the features for sure as it’s not nearly as intuitive as Apple products. I make the comment about the intuitiveness of Apple stuff because a recent YouTube video shows a toddler who is not even one using a iPad and understanding how to change pages and such. Still, the system did and does work as advertised but can be a bit slow at times. Overall grade B+.

NAV-With all of the bashing on the forums about this system I expected the worst from it. I will say that the screen has ALLOT if information on it and that’s confusing at first. I entered the address of our new house and it took me there without issue. It took some time for me to get use to how it alerts you to your next turn because it’s a bit different than the Garmin Nuvi I just sold. Like I said, there is a bit to much information displayed on the screen during use, maybe there is a way to change that in the settings? Anyway, I didn’t have any problem with the system what so ever last night and even found a restaurant near my house. I’m not saying it’s as good as Garmin by any means but once again it worked just fine. Overall grade A-

Overall ride/handling-To say the X is quiet would be a big understatement. For the last four months I’ve been driving a Hyndui Tuscon in Germany and it’s a night and day difference. Being 6’7” I was worried I wouldn’t have enough legroom but that’s not the case. I actually set the seat a few inches forward from the most aft position which is something I haven’t been able to do since we owned a Dodge Ram 1500. Being I like to have thigh support I have the seat tilted back, which helps with the legroom. The driver’s armrest is at the perfect distance for a guy as big as me but I can see how it would be awkward for someone smaller, which is about 99% of the rest of the population. I’m starting to wonder if they didn’t move the seats inboard to centerline to help in the side impact ratting?
Power-I haven’t had the chance to really test the acceleration yet but then again I haven’t needed to. During my highway trip yesterday I had plenty of umpf to get merged into traffic. I didn’t expect to get a hotrod so I guess I’m satisfied with the performance unlike some who believe it’s not a real SUV unless it has 8 cylinders regardless if they need it or not. I’m a huge gear head and love fast cars but the X just isn’t that and I knew that going in. The car has plenty of power for me.
Size-The car is big that’s for sure. In my seating position the hood looks like the deck of a aircraft carrier. Seriously. I guess you could say that’s a bad thing but I never felt like I was driving my Grandmothers Lincoln Town Car. It’s going to take getting use to seeing that much sheet metal when looking out but I’ll get use to it.

Gagets-This thing has more buttons than the bridge of the Star Ship Enterprise with the MFT taking the prize for sure. I’m still finding my way around most of the features but I have a good grasp of most of it.
BLISS-I honestly can’t say I’d recommend buying this car without BLISS as I don’t see how it’s possible to see out of that blind spot in the back while driving at highway speeds. Maybe I’m being a bit critical of the D pillar size but without BLISS I’m not so sure I’d feel safe driving it everyday. That being said the system works extremely well and I love it.
Adaptive Cruise Control-This is about the coolest thing since sliced bread. I drove in rush hour traffic without having to use the gas or break. A few times, when traffic really slowed down, the system had to apply more than moderate brake pressure but it keeps the set distance perfectly. Amazing feature that I can’t live without now.
Active Park Assist-Again, it works just like Ford said it does. It’s the strangest thing watching the car park itself and I’m sure it’s going to freak the wife out. I’m not sure how much I’ll use it but it’s cool. Remember how cool talking cars that came out in the 80’s were? Look how far we have come.
Stereo-I’ve been a stereo person all my life and installed for two years. I can honestly say the Sony system is one of the best factory systems I’ve ever heard. Sure there is room for improvement but it sounds damn good the way it is. I still haven’t programed any of the presets and I’m having trouble finding stations on the satellite, as the channel pamphlet isn’t up to date. I had better be able to get Opie and Anthony today.

Dealer Experience-Over all I’m happy with my dealings with them. I will caution everyone to be careful and READ the contract before you sign the bottom line. I told my salesman that I didn’t want their extended warranty as it’s twice the cost of Zeigler Ford when I arrived yesterday. I also told him several weeks ago I didn’t want it after they refused to match Zeigler’s price. Anyway, when I sat down with the finance manager and was presented with the big final contract what do you think was in the bottom line? Yup, their 2300 dollar extended warranty. I can’t say I believe it was a accident it was in there. I had them change it. During that process he asked why I wasn’t buying it and I told them “because it’s twice the cost of Zeigler Ford”! They also sat me down with a attractive woman who was the “warranty” person? She want on and on about protecting my investment a conversation that lasted a good 15 minutes. I assumed she was talking about the factory warranty but in the end I was presented with a sheet of paper with the cost of “undercarriage, paint and leather protection” of 1800 bucks! Seriously! It was a bit irritating they did this as I told the salesman I didn’t want it weeks ago. I know for sure this is a ploy to squeeze more money out of you being all excited to drive your new car off the lot you don’t think straight sometimes. After I was done with her the salesman took the paperwork and I noticed he looked at the blue paper very closely and for a long time. I assume he was looking to see if I bought the snake oil or not. Now that I think back his attitude changed a bit after that which bothers me a bit. Buy the rust proofing if you must but know it’s just about 100% profit for the dealer as is the extended warranty. The combination of those two, had I purchased them, would have been almost 4k in extra profit and commission for the salesman.
I posted a few weeks ago that I would review my dealer experience from the viewpoint of a new MFT customer, one who had no prior exposure of the system or how it works. That being said there is no way they spent enough time going over the system operation or vehicle features. I will caveat that statement by saying that I know this car and it’s features already so maybe he cut the demo short because I gave that impression. He did say to call him anytime I had questions but I’m not sure that would be enough for anyone else but me. Again, this was my experience and I would hope they would spend more time going over the features of the vehicle with someone who isn’t a car or tech person.

I’m going to have to stop here as I’ve been typing for a hour. I’ll be driving all day today so I can post more and some pictures tonight if I get time. More to follow……

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great review of your new baby. Waiting for ours to be built.

2012 Red Candy XLT AWD
Med Lt Stone
205a Package
Trailer Tow Package
All weather mats

Congrats on the new car, I still dont have an exact date to receive the car but they told me today they will confirm it, and there is a chance to get it tommorow or mostly this week, however I still have mixed feelings about all those stuff going around. I hope if ever there was an issue FORD would fix them and not keep them forever.

Thanks for the post. Awaiting delivery of mine also It would be interesting to see an update as you continue to drive the car... especially around MFT.

hmmmm, i don't know what happened to my post, but i'll try again.....

great review, but as far as the BLIS, it's not necessarilly NEEDED because my 301A package comes with a smaller mirror integrated into the side mirrors. and they work great and i don't have to worry about BLIS malfunctioning....

hmmmm, i don't know what happened to my post, but i'll try again.....

great review, but as far as the BLIS, it's not necessarilly NEEDED because my 301A package comes with a smaller mirror integrated into the side mirrors. and they work great and i don't have to worry about BLIS malfunctioning....

In my test drives, I found the little fisheye mirrors to be distracting when I was looking in the side view mirror. Is it something you just get used to?

yeah, i definitely go used to it. at first it was a little weird for me since this is my first truck. but it definitely is better than no fish eye mirror at all.

I only had an issue with my trade in. They never pointed out when I ordered that the trade offer included the rebate. We ended up splitting the difference and I chalk that up to a $500 lesson learned to get it clearly spelled out in writing what is trade and what would be rebate (they had written trade + bonus in the block for trade value). The finance guy didn't spend any time on the extended warranty with me, just briefly went through it then had me sign the decline paper when I said I didn't want it.

So far I haven't had any issues with the MFT. Picked up my cross bars and a front plate bracket today. I also had to get a vial of touch-up paint to fix a small paint chip on the tailgate. The only probelm was a stuck headrest (had the DVD sytem) but they fixed that today, the release was sticking and wouldn't let it go down.

I finally heard the a-pillar wind whistle from the drivers side. It is definately a function of cross wind. I will have plenty of time this weekend to figure wring things out on a 1000 mile round trip from Wichita, KS to Denver, CO. I-70 is usually pretty windy so it will be a good test.

Great review. Waiting to read more.

I am awaiting a '12 Limited 4WD in Golden Bronze with Pecan interior, 302A pkg. and everything except the sunroof.

I have a great dealer minus the added items to the purchase order:
$95 for nitrogen: "Does it come from the factory with nitrogen?" "No, it's added here." "Then do not put any in."
$500 Window etching: "No thank you."
$1300 Paint protection: "The clear coat, wax and washing does fine."
Why must we as customers endure this up selling?

I echo your statement about knowing the vehicle. There were times that my wife and I were informing the salesman about features and how things operated.

Great review.

Guess I was lucky with my dealer. I told them up front I would decline warranties, etc and they honored that request. The "business end" of the delivery process was about 5 minutes. Wrote a check and signed some papers. My MFT demo was also pretty quick but I also think he realized I studied up and knew the system.

I agree about the hood. It doesn't slope down as much as some other vehicles, so you end up seeing more hood than usual. Not a big deal and I'm already used to it.

The one thing I can't quite get used to is the steering column. I kept banging my right knee when moving from the accelerator to the brake. I played with the seat height, seat tilt and steering column tilt to find a good compromise. Finally, with the seat a little lower than I'd like and the steering wheel a little higher, my knee clears the steering column with about 1/4 inch to spare. I'm only 5'7" if I'm optimistic and round up. I wonder how people over 6 feet keep from banging their knee?

It’s been a long road but I finally picked up my X today and like promised I’m doing a review of the vehicle.

BLISS-I honestly can’t say I’d recommend buying this car without BLISS as I don’t see how it’s possible to see out of that blind spot in the back while driving at highway speeds. Maybe I’m being a bit critical of the D pillar size but without BLISS I’m not so sure I’d feel safe driving it everyday. That being said the system works extremely well and I love it.
I have used those small 2" convex stick on mirrors for 20 years or more. They totally eliminate the blind spot and even allow you to see the bottom part of your rear wheels. Although I have BLIS on my Limited, putting those little mirrors on my new Ex was the first thing I did. BLIS just warns you something is in the blind spot. It doesn't show you what it is.

Great overall review. I agree with what you said about the Active Cruise Control. Kinda freeky at first. ;)

24hr ownership review

Ok, complaint about the forum. I searched for 30 minutes and read the FAQ about posting pictures and there is no "manage attachments" tab anywhere. Yes, I used the post reply vice the quick reply. So I have to find another way to post pictures.

Over 100 miles on the X now and I have some squawks to report.

First I must say that whomever designed the transmission parking mechanism which allows the truck to roll almost a FOOT when the vehicle is in park should have their degree taken away. I almost crapped my pants this morning when I stopped for breakfast and parked on a slight down hill grade when it rolled that far. Seriously Ford, this needs addressed.

In a effort to make the MFT freeze up I set all the POI's on then went about my errands. After a few stops I lost the voice prompts and the radio stayed muted. The entire system ran slower also. I turned the POI's off after my next stop and it worked again.

I'm starting to get the handle of the system and the less then perfect GUI but like I stated in my first post it does work and work well....most of the time.

Another thing that I don't understand is the roof rack channel and how on earth Ford allows these to leave the factory like this. See attached pictures. Ford also needs to address this as it makes a very expensive vehicle look like crap. :thumbdwn:

I almost had a mishap today when I opened the lift gate in the garage of the new house. As it was coming up I realized it was going to hit the garage door so I ran back and held it from hitting. It stopped like it should but then continued to try and open and there was nothing I could do about it but force it down again and again. Why oh why did they program it to do this? Does it do the same thing when closing? What if something is in they way like a child? Would it continue to try and crush whatever is in the way? I guess it's programmed just like the third row power fold option.

My gas milage is currently saying 12.5 but I have at least a hour idling while playing with the systems or talking on the phone and it's mostly city driving. No complaint here....yet.

Still, even with the issues, I still love the car.

I guess I'm a paste eater because none of this works for posting pictures. None of these "tabs" are where they say they should be.

How do I use albums?

As a member, you can create Albums of images that are linked to your public profile. Albums can be created by visiting the User Control Panel, and clicking on the 'Pictures & Albums' link, and then clicking on 'Add Album'.

Each album can have a title ('Joe's Holiday to Nepal'), a description ('A bunch of photos from my recent adventure') and can be of three different types: Public, Private or Profile.

Public albums can be viewed by anyone
Private albums can only be viewed by site staff (moderators, administrators) and your Friends and Contacts (info)
Profile albums are viewable only by you. However, you can use the images to customize your public profile (info)
How do I upload pictures?

Once you've created an album you can upload images to it. Simply view the album and click on 'Upload Pictures'.

You'll have the option to give each picture a caption, and to set one image as the Album cover, which will be displayed on the public profile. To delete an album or edit the title, description or album type, click on 'Edit Album'. To delete an image, or to edit a caption or change the album cover, click on 'Edit Pictures'.

All members who have access to your album images can comment on them, in a similar way to Visitor Messages (more info). You can delete any image comments from your albums, and report inappropriate messages to moderators.

When you have uploaded a picture, you can place it in your posts by using the BB code text that is displayed below the image when you view it at full size.

Mike, welcome home, glad you got the new x, hope I can answer your q's about the lift gate..

1) power lift gate. Press and hold the power button on the bottom of lift gate ( left side) were you want the lift gate to stop. Younacn manually move the gate to this position, then press the button, you should hear a chime that its set. It will stop there all the time.

2) repeat as necessary to readjust

3). If you stop the movement of the rear hatch, it should stop, I tested mine just know, little effort to stop, also I placed a rol of paper towels in the hatch and tried to power close, it stopped.

I had the same issues almost hitting the garage door, lucky I was in the back meaning with the adjustment.

Thanks for the great review. I'd be interested to see your review after a few months and miles!

Another day driving the X and playing with the features. It's important to read the owners manual carefully because if you don't, like me, you will miss stuff and not be able to get things to work.

I managed to get the garage door opener thing on the visor programed to the new rental after a few tries and rereading the manual.

I was also programing the seat memory incorrectly. To program it to each key you have to push and hold the button until you hear two beeps then push the lock button, wait 10 seconds then push the unlock button. There isn't a conformation tone so I'm not sure if I did it right. Didn't have time to confirm with the other key.

Today the NAV system worked again without issue. It takes some time to load once in a while and sometimes when you program a route it takes a while to calculate. Again, not the best system I've used but not worthy of all the bashing. If it was a POS I'd be honest about it.

One gripe I have is with my weathertech mats. The second row requires trimming if you have the center console and I knew that. My problem is they don't offer any kind of template or guide to make the cut. It's a 80 dollar mat so if you screw up it's going to look like poo. I called them thinking they would have something for me but they don't. I trimmed it up just fine but still. I need something to ***** about today.

Mike - Congrats!

Get a photobucket account and use it to post the link to the photo. Works way better than trying to upload pictures.

...plus, you cannot upload pics to the site unless you have an Elite membership.

I am, and I still use photobucket anyway. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great review.

My opinion of that kind of dealer experience is in short, crap.

Back