My turn for a selectable front axle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My turn for a selectable front axle.

AMMO_HOOAH

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT
Let me start by giving most of the credit to Mountaineergreen for giving me the info on this swap. His thread on the swap is here. I did this swap for a couple of reasons:
1. I think having the front axle turning all the time in a transfer case not designed for it is probably bad.
2. Not to mention the fact that I don't have to worry about any drive shaft vibration any longer since it's only turning when off roading now.
3. Gas mileage should go up some.
4. I'm going to put in a front locker eventually
5. Because it almost cost me nothing lol.

Here's a pic of some of the stuff I literally picked (they had a special all you could carry for $50) up at the junk yard a couple of weekends ago. Not in the pic is the axle, silinoids, vaccume globe, hood, and moonroof I already put in the truck.
0414081642.jpg

Since the axle came from a junk yard it had a hole punched in the cover where it was drained, so I decided it would make a good spot for a drain plug. I'm not sure what it's called, but I used a pipe fitting that was threaded on the outside with another threaded hole on the inside figured that way if i ever strip it, or can't get the plug out I can always drill and tap it larger for a new plug bolt.
0414081638.jpg

0414081637.jpg

The axle I still have on the pallet is the one I'll be putting a set of 4.56 gears and an aussie in. When I get around to it anyway lol. Here's some pics of the switch and indicator light. The light is on when the front axle is locked weather the switch is on or not, so when the I can know when the axle is engaged and when not.
Switch off axle not engaged:
0414082350a.jpg

Switch on axle engaged:
0414082349.jpg

Switch off axle engaged:
0414082350.jpg

I know kinda bad pics, but what can you expect from a camera phone. :rolleyes:

Niiice. Some of you like them, and I hope to replace mine with something I know I can rely on.

Why don't you think you can rely on yours?

I don't know I'm just kind of skeptical of the whole setup, I'm afraid it isn't going to work someday when I need it. I mean I don't know if there are many that has failed just my personal preference I guess.

Back