• Register Today It's free!

Mystery thud under seat

tim b

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport 4x4
When I brake to a complete stop, I notice a thud which I can feel thru the seat. Then as the truck settles after the stop there is another thud. The old 1-2! Now, it doesn't happen if the braking is done in neutral (this an automatic w/ Overdrive). It's the sort of thud you might imagine if the spare tire was swinging loose under the truck. I'm suspecting worn mounts. Any help? The truck has 210 K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do a search (bottom right corner of screen for thud) Look at a thread called "thud After Stopping", see if that helps any.

And Welcome To The Forum!

Thanks for the tip. I'm new to this forum. Great site . By the way this is a 4x4.

Sounds like your drive shaft slip yoke!

Lube that sucker.

dang.. i hope mine lasts to 210k

Tim B, I have the same "clunk , clunk". I checked numerious suspension items and finally noticed the problem when my wife was driving and I was riding in the back seat. The seat rails on the drivers pwr seat are worn enough that when braking - the seat rocks fwd (only a 1/16-1/8 in) "clunk" and then when the vehicle stops the seat rocks back "clunk". I tried moving the seat to various different positions and no fix. At least I know what it is so Im not as bothered by it now.

My old Pontiac 6000 did that also, turns out the plastic inserts on the seat tracks that keep it from rocking but allow it to slide were old and broken. The only way to fix it on that car was to replace the seat tracks with new ones.

Back