Napa hub replacement? And what are the torque specs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Napa hub replacement? And what are the torque specs?

Reaction score
City, State
In the Middle
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ranger 5.0
1997 5.0 AWD

At only 182,x.. miles my left hub assembly already went out! :rant:

Do all '97 4x4 Explorers have ABS?

The Napa website has 2 different parts listed, and one specifies ABS and the cheaper one makes no mention of it. The cheaper one is $140 and the other is $264.

From searching I know the spindle nut torque is 250 ft lbs, but what about the 3 bolts that hold the hub assembly? And also the brake caliper bracket to the knuckle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you're at Napa, ask for both of them. If the cheaper one has ABS, it will have the few feet of wire coming out of it (for the sensor).

I dunno the torque spec on the three bolts that hold the assembly onto the knuckle, but I do recall a few of them being a little hard to get to (I think because the CV axle shaft was in the way) but I just slipped a piece 1-ft section or so of tube over the 15mm box-end wrench and put a medium amount of force on it. Also put some Loctite (the blue works, red would be better) if you have any.

My local Napa has the expensive one in stock, but has to order the cheaper one. I would still buy the cheaper one even if it is without ABS as long as it physically bolts into place properly. I'll have them order one and see what it looks like.

Thanks for the pipe on the wrench trick. I'll try it if none of my swivels can get in there. I have blue and red loctite on hand, so I'll put a few drops of red on it.

Thanks again for the reply.

if your hub assembly has the wire leading out of it, you need the one that has the wiring,,
the sensor send info to the computer ,

Do you have an Autozone where you live? If so get a Timken brand. They are around $160. Timken is what ford uses from the factory. You buy cheap you get cheap.

I found out the hard way.

In my experiences NAPA is the highest priced parts store out there.

Edit: The hub came in at Napa and has the wire, so i bought it. It only has to last a year, then I'll be starting a SAS hopefully.

if your hub assembly has the wire leading out of it, you need the one that has the wiring,,
the sensor send info to the computer ,
What info does the computer need from it? If the only thing affected is the ABS, I won't worry about it... or does it need the info to run?

Do you have an Autozone where you live? If so get a Timken brand. They are around $160. Timken is what ford uses from the factory. You buy cheap you get cheap.

I found out the hard way.

In my experiences NAPA is the highest priced parts store out there.
AutoZone is about 40 miles from me, and at first I didn't find anything by entering "wheel bearing" in their site. I've looked more now and have found the Timken unit, which has always been my preferred brand.

Thanks.

Back