How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

2. I read a suggestion (either in this forum or elsewhere, can't remember) that you don't have to take the caliper and brake pads off the caliper bracket, just remove the bracket with the caliper and pads as one unit. I did this and it saved some time and effort.

Well, passenger side is done. I jacked up that side, it didn't wobble by hand, it didn't really spin easily, so another Timken unit was installed. Everything went easy. CV axle slid right out of the old unit. I did try the idea I qouted above. I did still have to use a large C-clamp to compress the piston a bit. I don't think that will cause any issues down the road, but I will update if it does.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front caliper pistons are relatively easy to compress, using a large screw driver, before unbolting the caliper. The rear caliper has a tighter space at the top opening, those are very tough to do with a screw driver. I usually do those after loosening the caliper bolts enough, to get between the pad and rotor. I also have a decent caliper "spreader" that can do it by hand with a caliper held in one hand.

I never remove the front calipers from the brackets, I only remove the large bracket bolts. That's much easier than bothering with the smaller caliper bolts, which have greased and booted shafts that must not be contaminated. Leave those in place, only mess with those when you notice one of the boots loose or torn, which is virtually never.

Well, passenger side was grinding slightly a few weeks ago. Today, couldn’t hear much at highway speed, but when slowing down, could definitely hear a pulsating grinding. Hit my local O’Reilly Auto for a Precision unit. @Turdle recommended that, and no Timkens available locally.

Interesting note: O’Reilly’s MasterPro brand had the same part number as the Precision unit. I asked to see both. Visually, I noticed the lug bolts were black on the MasterPro, so I passed. MasterPro unit had a one year warranty, the Precision had three. Precision unit was $26 more. Why not pay that and get two more years warranty…?

I haven't yet had any hub fail which I bought and installed. But mine have all been better brands, two Ford hubs, one pair of Timkens, and two pairs of SKF hubs, the last ones. I think all of those are very good, I haven't done any close inspections of those to compare them.

I have an 01 Eddie Bauer AWD, these steps jibe with what I remember, too bad the pics atrophied. It's a single piece set sealed hub, there is a large, thin O-Ring that seals the hub against the steering knuckle, this was out of place which is why I think my original bearing failed. Found it stuck to the old bearing and had to break it all down again.

I did a video on this... It seems the original write-up photos are gone so maybe this will help fill in the gaps:

Back