Navigator Engine in X | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Navigator Engine in X

ahh ok now i get it........ the 5.4 (330 cu in) definatley won't fit in the explorer. I'm guessin with a few mods a 4.6 (281 cu in) could fit. What size is the biggest that could fit in that engine bay with AC n all the essential? at most a 5.0 (302 cu in)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you coud do all the trick things to a 5.0 or 5.8 to max out is displacement. you can probly get 400 cubic inches or so. it'll even look stock on the outside, but the internals wil tell the real story. i know you can get the parts to make a 302 into a 347. im sure there is a monster crank that can pull 400 from a 351. the 351 does have a taller block so it will take a little more work to get that one in, like exhaust and maybe steering shaft conflict.

You could go with something bigger ci wise using a 5.0 block. 331, 347, etc.

Ford put a supercharged 5.4 lightning motor in a new body style ranger (similar to Explorer), they called it the Lightning Bolt.

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stories/lightningbolt/page1.html

lightningbolt1.jpg

I'd probly go with a stroked 5.0, you can supercharge those to. and it almost bolts right in. except i'd still try to one up myself and go stroked 5.0 5 speed awd. that would rock. but since i cant seem to finish projects, i'll just leave the 4.0sohc in there and do little things. they say the sohc beats the 5.0 anyways, and after getting on it i realized this is the sportiest suv i've ever driven.

hmmm so what you're saying is that its relatively feesible to stick a 330 cu in engine in that bay?

Your focus on cubic inches is entirely irrelevant. Cubic inches have very little to do with the motor's physical size. A 5.4 isn't going to be a easy swap, and will require a ton of work, a lot of experiance, and bunch of money. Your best easiest bet, would be a stroked 5.0. 5.0's are stock motors, so you size, mounting, transmision, driveshafts, and tansfer case, if you wanted one, would already be figured out. For the price of a good 5.4 you could likely get a 5.0 that already has a 347 kit.

what do you mean by a 5.0 with a 347 kit?

A 5.0 motor(302 cu) with a 347cu stroker kit.

your simply putting a longer stroke crank, and a slightly larger bore into the same 5.0 block every 96-01 explorer has, and lots of mustangs, and f-150's, and etc... your motor will look the same. it will fit the same, it bolts in the same way. no other mods necessary other than the new cranks and pistons except for some internal clearancing of the block and the necesary computer tuning for the extra 45 cubes. you wont tell the difference till you hit the gas.

look at it like this. your putting more into the same space. like extra air in your tires. the outside doesn't change, but there IS more in there.

You'd also need the supporting mods, like intake, and exhaust,chip, maybe injectors, maf, and fuel pump. so you'd be able to tell the difference even at idle. No sence in using the stock cam as well.

ahh ok I think I understand. How much would it cost for the stroker 347 including all the necessary mods?

If you now have a 4.0 you will also need a transmission, and t case if you want AWD/4x4, along with driveshafts, and the engine controls. If you do it all yourself you could easily do it under 5k. You'd be better off buying a salvage 5.0 Explorer to use as a parts bin.

I plan on buying a new transmission for the 5.0. So I should buy a 302 5.0L engine from a used explorer, and install a 347 stroker kit right? I dont want AWD. Would i need any other parts like cams or intake valves?

i want to put a 6.0 powerstroke in my explorer with a few mods those things hall some @s$ my freind has one and it easaly out does the v10 any day of the week

adam45356 said:
i want to put a 6.0 powerstroke in my explorer with a few mods those things hall some @s$ my freind has one and it easaly out does the v10 any day of the week
you really want to put a 6.0 powerstroke in your X? i thought i heard it all! :D :p

adam45356 said:

tell him to pop the hood and you will realize that isnt possible. :(

it would definalty be cheaper to buy a f-250 frame cut it to shorten it and slap X on it then to do that conversion.

Also adding to south59's comment....it would wiegh your front end down soo much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well everyone was talking about puting the 6.8 v10 witch my freinds excursion has and that thing is slower than my x then my other freind has a f350 crew cab 6.0 powersroke and it halls some major@$$ with the chip and crap but no i dont want one in my x it was just a idea it whould be cool but i dont think it whould get along with my a4ld at all lol

Back