• Register Today It's free!

Navigator Engine in X

hmn4389

Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hi i was wondering how possible (and how difficult) it is to swap my v6 ohc with a 5.4L v8 dohc Navi engine. Or maybe a 4.6L dohc Aviator engine?

thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:eek:

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 386

and thats only the 302....just think how the V6 would look like, along with all the computer and what not details. THe V8's a tight fit in there already and for a 4.6 or 5.4 to go in......i doubt it. (in the V8;s theres barely room for the headers)

:p [QUOTE='97 V8]and thats only the 302....just think how the V6 would look like, along with all the computer and what not details. THe V8's a tight fit in there already and for a 4.6 or 5.4 to go in......i doubt it. (in the V8;s theres barely room for the headers)[/QUOTE] :p

the dude for the ranger stripped everything out....

and now you have to go to a 5.4 let alone getting a 4.6 to fit.

here is a 5.4
5_4L_Triton_Cutaway.jpg

why not just go for thr 6.8 v-10 if your gonna do that much work?

5.4 has be to larger than the 4.6. And it would be DOHC too. Thats just crazy!

Didnt someone put a 460 or something a bit smaller into a ranger? Its possible, its just going to cost alot.

oh yeah, ANYTHING is possible with money.

[QUOTE='97 V8]the dude for the ranger stripped everything out....[/QUOTE]

he put back in most of it, stripped it to help and make it easier to get that wide cow in and out... there is another on there using the expedition tranny and transfer in a 4.6 on his ranger.. so maybe the tranny bolts up ? or did the expedition come in a 4.6?

i think there was a 5.4 with the expedition.

as for 5.4 v the v-10 this is why....
5_4L_Triton_Cutaway.jpg
6.8 V-10
6.8L_Triton.jpg

more power to ya if you could fit it.....

ya the expeditions came in 4.6 and 5.4.

as for a V10 it aint worth it. too weak.

Now with that V10.......and I could strip out the engine compartment........move the firewall back............enlarge the trans tunnel..........move the steering wheel back a bit......sit in the back seat to drive.......LOL :D

Aloha, Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes... thats a custom tube frame with full fiberglass front clip kinda job. you maybe have to a little redesigning, like move the front axel forward a little so it can fit the v10 and still have room for the radiator. cowl hood, you might have to make fat fenders up front to get the width in the bay, and might as well make it chubby in the rear too. then the obvious cabin mods... but how sweet it would be

Back