Need a Diagnosis | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need a Diagnosis

DiGiornoRisingCrust

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hey guys, my '07 Ex has been acting up recently, and I can't seem to pinpoint the problem.

The other day I was driving down a busy city street, and there was a pothole in the road, and I couldn't switch lanes to avoid it, so I step on the brakes and slow down to maybe 30 MPH before hitting the hole with the brakes on. The impact wasn't big at all, but I heard a clunk and the pedal sunk to the floor. After that the pedal would travel like 2 inches before the brake actually engaged. They still worked, but it required too much pedal depression to make them engage.

Since I was almost home, I just drove home in that state and parked it and went inside. Today I went to make the short commute to a mechanic shop (I only trust myself with minor maintenance, brakes are too important to mess up) but I noticed the pedal was firmer. It still wasn't normal, but it was much better. I drove around for a bit, and I noticed that each time the pedal would require a different amount of pressure. Sometimes it would be firm immediately, other times it would be soft then get firm as I pressed the pedal harder.

Another peculiar thing is that when I did some hard braking tests, the ABS didn't seem to engage. I got some minor wheel lock and squeal, but it never engaged. The warning light isn't on, but always comes on and off when you start the car, like it should. I don't know if it's hard to engage the ABS on this gen, but in my dads 2009 F-150 the ABS is a lot more sensitive, and would've definitely engaged.

The passenger side rotor also has a wear scratch along it, but my dad said that it wouldn't affect the performance. There aren't any other symptoms, except for a loud humming, but I think that may be the tires. The noise starts at 30 and drones around 40, but gets quieter at 45 then maintains a steady level. The tires aren't super aggressive, but they still have more aggressive tread than any other street tire.

Any of you know what might be causing my brake problems? Thanks!

Back