• Register Today It's free!

Need help with installation.

Lewshus

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
Ok, I'm a novice to installing in every since of the word. I did install my current headunit, which I'm sure i made harder than it should have been.

Now I'm ready to upgrade my system. This is what i have purchased.

Pioneer avh-1400dvd
MB Quart ONX4.125 1000W RMS, ONYX Series 4-Channel Amplifier
Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D D-Class Mono Block Amplifier
Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs speakers
2 JL Audio 10w6 in a box

I also have purchased all the wiring, dash kits, and adapter plates.

I got quoted $350 to install everything. Well i dont have that. I was wondering how hard is it to install everything myself?

My main concerns are the amps and running the wires. Also i want to mount the tweeters in the pillar next to the windows. How would I go about this?

Thank you for the advice in advance.

Oh btw I have a 2004 ford explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I'm a novice to installing in every since of the word. I did install my current headunit, which I'm sure i made harder than it should have been.

Now I'm ready to upgrade my system. This is what i have purchased.

Pioneer avh-1400dvd
MB Quart ONX4.125 1000W RMS, ONYX Series 4-Channel Amplifier
Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D D-Class Mono Block Amplifier
Image Dynamics CTX-6.5cs speakers
2 JL Audio 10w6 in a box

I also have purchased all the wiring, dash kits, and adapter plates.

I got quoted $350 to install everything. Well i dont have that. I was wondering how hard is it to install everything myself?

My main concerns are the amps and running the wires. Also i want to mount the tweeters in the pillar next to the windows. How would I go about this?

Thank you for the advice in advance.

Oh btw I have a 2004 ford explorer.

Run the main power wire through the black grommet near the brake pedal and under the left side kick plates. There is space under the seats or under the trunk compartments to mount the amps.

I put tweeters in the door panels of my car. seemed easiest to me because I dont think the pillars have enough depth to mount them. I just drilled out with smaller bits then dremeled the rest until the tweeters fit flush.

when i did the install in my Ex i wish i would have been able to do it during the day so i could ahve done a good write up with pics. but i hope this helps.

i ran the power and blue remote wire down the drivers side under the trim panels under the doors. and ran the rca cables down the passenger side, again under the trim panels. ground the amp(s) to the body mount bolt under he carpet in the cargo compartment.

when i did my stereo i ran ALL new wires. the only wires from the factory harness i used were the power, memory and ground for the head unit. i have all 6 speakers in my truck power by an amp. for that i just ran the front wires forward under the trim and fed them thru the tubing in the door jams. i also found my back doors have factory cut holes for 2 speakers in each door, so i wired for 2 per rear door just for future upgrades.

and for the record, that was my first full install, looks very clean and no damage was done to the vehicle. i have installed amps and subs in 7 different vehicles and had no major issues in any of the jobs so far. i am far from a pro (im a truck driver) but car audio is a hobby of mine. your gonna be a bit nervous at first but the further you get the better you will feel. and it feels great when its done and you can say "i did that myself".

you got some work on your hands lol its alot to explain man wish u\you lived in san diego , id help you out for free .....fyi make sure your power and remote wires are ran on thedriver side of the vehicle and run all the rca cables on the driver side of the vehicle to make sure you dont get any wierd ground loop noises or interference ... i learned the hard way a long time ago
here is a video of my stereo install in my 97 explorer it might help give yu some ideas

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWwymyRWfMs

if yo need any advide hit me up ill take pics or video if needed

Back