Need help with lighting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with lighting

Okay I have some LED floor light strips that I want to install. I need to know exactly where to tap into to have them come on with the other interior lights when the doors open, etc.

I tried a couple wires coming from the engine compartment from under the dash. I read in one thread that the blue/black was the one, tried it no luck. Seen another black/blue (big black, small blue), tried it no luck.

I have spent about 3 hours on this already and can't figure this out. I am so aggravated. I hate wires.... Please help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think you could tie into the wires going to the under dash lights. You could realistically tap into any light in the truck that comes on when the doors open (dome light, floor lights, door reflectors, etc.).

Does anyone know a specific wire to tap into for the dimmed lights?

like he said, literally any of the wires going into one of the lights.

Got it figured out. I spliced into the lights in the overhead console and ran the wire through the headliner out both sides of the truck and tucked them into the plastic side rail. I have them hooked up so they come on when the other lights turn on, and whenever you turn the light on for each side manually. It looks pretty bad ass. I will post a pic soon.

You can see I also did the LED map light conversion.

photobucket-2425-1317450601684.jpg

photobucket-4716-1317450580209.jpg

photobucket-3798-1317450629078.jpg

photobucket-820-1317450654185.jpg

The floor lights are super bright. Bought the pair at pepboys for $15 (6" strip I think with 6 LED's).

Back