Need Lot of advice for Engine replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Lot of advice for Engine replacement

Arsenil

Reaction score
City, State
Monte-Carlo
Year, Model & Trim Level
Limited 97 4.0l 4WD
Hello everyone,

So i had some anoying noise coming from the engine of my explorer 97 4.0l And my ford got 111356Miles. The noise is like this
it's doing this noise everytimes Park, drive ... And when i press the gas pedal, it stop when i release it the noise get bigger...

So i'm expecting it's coming from the timing chain system... The fact that doing all the work for replacing timing chain it will take a week or two. I was looking for a new engine, i found one with 19'200 miles on it certified. The car had an accident...
Where i'm from i can't find any other engine. So it's why i'm asking all of you guys.

So i've actually a 1997 Explorer, and the donor is a 2000 ( Both V6 4.0l )

It's all i know for the moment...
I ask fo the vin number, and everything. But what do i need to know before doing the work ?

i really love my Explorer, so i want to keep it alive for ever...

I hope you will be able to help me out, because In :thumbdwn:France:thumbdwn: those people are stupid. They know nothing about american truck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2000 would have the updated computer system?

May just have to. Check with some of the other guys who have done engine swaps.

You will need to find out if you have a OHV or a SOHC 4.0L then you need to find out if the donor is the same or not. The bottom line is yes it will work, if they are the same its alittle work if they are different its alot more work. I know becouse I'm doing it right now.

Hey good news or not...

You will need to find out if you have a OHV or a SOHC 4.0L then you need to find out if the donor is the same or not. The bottom line is yes it will work, if they are the same its alittle work if they are different its alot more work. I know becouse I'm doing it right now.

Thanks for your answer, so i look at the announcement, and it's says that's a SOHC like mine. And they also are saying, they might have not the computer with it... What should i do???? Because as they are teling me it's a pain in the a*** to put back the computer...
I don't know what to think about that...

Help me out Guys.

Thanks in advance.

No need to worry about the computer from new engine...

Pull the old engine, replace with the newer engine, remove the fuel rail and injectors from the old engine install it in place on the newer engine, check the cam and crank sensors on newer engine to those on old engine, swap if needed, connect the fuel system and the rest of the wiring and hoses, start the truck and drive it...

The biggest difference is that the 97 is a return line type of fuel system and the 2000 is a returnless fuel system...The newer fuel system runs at a higher operating pressure...By changing the fuel rails and the injectors on the newer engine and comparing the cam and crank sensors you are insuring the operating parameters the PCM is seeing is the same as with the old engine...

But I have one question about the noise; If you put your hand on the oil dipstick can you feel the knocking? I ask because I had a similar sound on my 99 Explorer and it turned out to be the oil dipstick holder was too close to a crank counterweight...If this is the problem it will save you the labor of swapping engines...

Good luck with this either way...And know that many folks have swapped even newer engines into their Explorers like from a 04-08 Mustang since the Mustang uses the same 4 liter sohc engine as the Explorer andruns extremely well in these applications...All that most have done is the remove the upper intake and fuel system parts from the Mustang and bolted on the same parts from their Explorer engines and then they were done.

Sounds like it could possibly be an exhaust leak. Feel for air escaping at the exhaust manifold, if so just get a new gasket and bolts

America

Pull the old engine, replace with the newer engine, remove the fuel rail and injectors from the old engine install it in place on the newer engine, check the cam and crank sensors on newer engine to those on old engine, swap if needed, connect the fuel system and the rest of the wiring and hoses, start the truck and drive it...

The biggest difference is that the 97 is a return line type of fuel system and the 2000 is a returnless fuel system...The newer fuel system runs at a higher operating pressure...By changing the fuel rails and the injectors on the newer engine and comparing the cam and crank sensors you are insuring the operating parameters the PCM is seeing is the same as with the old engine...

But I have one question about the noise; If you put your hand on the oil dipstick can you feel the knocking? I ask because I had a similar sound on my 99 Explorer and it turned out to be the oil dipstick holder was too close to a crank counterweight...If this is the problem it will save you the labor of swapping engines...

Man Thanks you so Much for your answer, i went back to the car and i checked the dipstick oil but no it's not coming from there... :mad: I think i have two option :
- Swap engine
- Doing timing chain

You got to know i don't have a lot of space in my garage... Enough to do my body lift... But i don't think i have enough place to take the V6 OFF and rebuilt it... I'm a broken guy actually, and guess what each choise will cost some money. But wich one will be the safest???
I went to a friend today and he gaved me also the same two choise, but he is a mechanic for american muscle ( Only american ) In france lol funny no?

What is the best ? tell me because i'm deseperate actually...:rolleyes:

Thanks for all people who help me out.

Changing motors would probly be quickier and easier. As to cost it would depend on how much the moter costs. its not that hard to change moters. You would just have to use the long block and change all of the accessories from the old motor to thr new one

Back