Need new tires for '03 Explorer-any suggestions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need new tires for '03 Explorer-any suggestions?

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT with just over 41,000 miles. The original tires are now at just about 3/32". I want to replace the tires with all season tires. I live in Connecticut so I need tires with good traction in snow. Most of the driving is town/city driving,short trips, very little highway driving.
Could anyone offer a few suggestions of brand with approximate $ costs?
Thanks very much for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got about 80k miles out of my BFGoodrich long trail T/A's and I enjoyed every minute of them.... I live in Chicago so I got everything thrown at them over the last few years and they took it like a champ. They are fairly cheap tires and you get allot for your money. Check out some reviews on them and do a search on this site, you will see what people think of them. I just had my cousin order some for her Ford Escape...

Best all around tire I ever used[F-150, F-250, CJ7 Jeep] was the BFG All Terrain t/a.The Explorer [03] still has the Mich. Cross Terrains on it.They were so so in the snow and a no go in the ice.Since moving to Florida going to go with the General HTS or Continental Cross Contact LX as we get NO SNOW::D

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

The Ford dealer suggested 4 brands.
1) Michelin Cross Terrain: xtoolmaker commented that they were so so in snow
2) BF Goodrich Long Trail : grkstl2 liked them alot
3) Goodyear Forter Silent Armor and
4) Yokohama Geolander AT/S

I am going to go to tirerack.com and do some looking/comparing of the brands you all suggested.

Thanks again.

Might also want to check out the Cooper ATR. They are a very good snow tire. Their Discoverer M & S tire is even better for pure snow work (not so good for mud) but they lack some all-season drivablilty.

http://www.coopertire.com/html/products/tires_suv.aspx?page=discoverer_atr

Cooper makes Pro Comp, and a number of other brands, plus their own branded line. American made. :thumbsup:

I have the Firestone Destination AT's. They are about $125 a tire and did really good in the snow. I believe they are one of the top rated tires on Tire Rack. Haven't had them long enough to tell you how they wear.

BFG Rugged Trail T/A

The stock tires BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A on my 2003 Explorer EB lasted 75 K. Replaced with same ones. No problems. Highly recommended. I do only street miles.

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT with just over 41,000 miles. The original tires are now at just about 3/32". I want to replace the tires with all season tires. I live in Connecticut so I need tires with good traction in snow. Most of the driving is town/city driving,short trips, very little highway driving.
Could anyone offer a few suggestions of brand with approximate $ costs?
Thanks very much for your help.

I,m in Connecticut as well. I am looking at tires as well. I have narrowed it down to the following, but am considering increasing the size on my 03 Explorer XLT from the stock 235/70 to 245/75R16s.

Firestone Destination A/T about $110 each at tire rack
Cooper Discovery ATR about $139 each through CT tire in New Britain

I,m leaning tword the Coopers as that is all we use on our Ambulances and they are a fantastic tire. Aggresive yet quiet and get about 75K out of them

Frank

Back