Best highway tires for 2nd gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best highway tires for 2nd gen?

I am going to need tires for my '97 4x4 Sport. 99% of all driving will be on pavement, so I'm looking for the best highway tire instead of an all terrain.

I live in Michigan, and we definitely have 4 seasons here. Wet traction is very important, as is traction in snow and slush. Cornering stability is also very important to me.

Recommendations? Any tires I should avoid? I would also be interested to hear how much you paid, and where you got your tires if you have a specific recommendation.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Swtiching from Goodyear Wrangler RT/S to Michelin LTX M/S improved my ride ALOT. Pricey, but well worth it.

I got mine from Discount Tire. I originally ordered some Kumho Road Venture 825, but those were discontinued, so they got Kumho Road Venture AT KL78 instead. I was not really digging the different ones they sent, so I had them take them back. Then I was going for Firestone Destination A/T, but then the salesman told me I was kinda getting in the Michelin LTX M/S price range, so I just opted for those. Plus, those were in stock, and the Firestones would come in a day or two.

depending on the size, you could try the BFG Long trail Touring or the Michelin Cross terain, if you're looking for something not as "highway" you can opt for a bfg rugged trail or Michelin LTX M/S like Toypaseo or X Radial LT, those are options, i only know Michlins and BFGs tho, other people will have more insite on other tires. but those are all very nice all seasons. not sure if the Touring will deal with a michigan winters seeing as i live in jersey. but other people can attest to that. My Tires are Fuzion XTI's I like them, but they're not a big name brand. so tire rack may help you look into ratings for the tires.

Justin

Check out the Avon Rangers. They got high reviews for a pretty moderately priced tire.

the last set of Michelin X M&S 235/75X15 on my bronco ll went 137,000 kilometers or 85,000 miles @ 32 psi.

My father ran a set of Michelin LTX on an '94ish S-10 pick-up. Very impressed with them. Handled more like a car than a truck. Seemed to last forever too.

Thanks for the responses so far.:)

I saw those Avons on Tirerack-I may grab a set and give them a try. They seem to be rated extremely well for what they cost.

Back