NEED SOME NEW WINTER TIRES? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NEED SOME NEW WINTER TIRES?

Im looking for some good tires, my size is 255-70r-16
im looking for excellent traction, wet/snow. just in general, what are some the best tires that i can buy for city/ highway and off roading tires too?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get an a/t type tire. find a tread pattern and ply- thickness that fits your needs and budget. siping in the treads really helps in ice and snow. bridgestone or goodrich on the high end probably. theres a million manufacturers out there though

I got a new set of Michelin XC LT4's last February. They got me through a storm the dumped 30" of snow in my area. This is my second set. They are quiet, have decent tread life (~40K mi), "sipes" for traction on ice and have never hydroplaned.

If you read reviews on tirerack.com you can see most people have had bad luck w/Goodyears.

The XC LT4 is sold through Sears and NTB in my area. The Cross Terrain is similar. They're probably not the best choice for Off Road but for all season/winter tire I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

ok sounds good guys thanx alot

I'd suggest staying away from the Cross Terrains. They're waaay over priced and in my opinion, they don't get good wet traction. Plus little stone get stuck in them. And they've worn really bad in 26k miles.

Well I have being looking in the tires that you guys have suggested, now its all about a (choice) I guess you can say ;)

BFG All-Terrain......

Arguably the best tire out there for what you want. Awesome in the snow, awesome in the rain ( I know I am in Oregon), and supposedly pretty decent for an a/t in the mud, though I haven't tried yet :D. They are pretty quiet too. I would get them......wait I did :p.

All of the tire forums that I have been on and other sites say that the best all around tire- hydroplaining-snow-mud-offroad-ETC! are the Bridgestone Revos!!!
Tire rack has them rated as #1. And their reviews are great!!!
I have never used them but they will be my next set of tires!
A couple of guys that have 20-30- trucks on the road for plowing in Canada said that the Cooper Discover M&S were the best for snow plowing and that they do not get the skidding (when stopping at the end of a plow) with these Coopers!!!!!

I did get the Bridgestone A/T Dueler Revos and I am so happy I did. I went up a smidge to the 30x9.50's on my 97 Explorer XLT AWD, with the white outlined lettering out. So far, it quieted the ride down to almost nothing......I actually like to drive with the radio off now becasue it is so quiet! On dry pavement the tires hold very well, track straight and there is no squealing on corners. In the rain, the ride felt very secure, no hydroplanning and a much improved ride over the Yokohama Geolandar A/T's (mistake) and Firestone A/T's (mistake). I can hardly wait to try them in the snow/slush/ice. I used tirerack.com as a research tool for reviews on these tires (very positive and right on) and others, then I purchased the Revos from a local Bridestone dealer.

These tires suck!

They make driving in the snow too easy! ;)

Just got back from a midnight jaunt up Brush Mountain and back. 6" of snow on a rutted mountain road and not a problem. Hardpack, ice, slush, loose, soft these tires ate it all with ease. I did some straight line hard braking to test their grip and they did just fine. ABS obvioulsy kicked in but on my tail out antics they have good lateral grip on slick stuff.

I drove in 2wd hi/low (2Low = too much tq for anything but pavement) and 4hi. They did just fine. I rarely engage my 4hi and with the brown wire mod i was driving in 2wd just to see how they would do. Surprisingly well considering the roads are covered with south east wintery mix.

I say again, Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's are great tires!

Back