need tires on a budget | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

need tires on a budget

i just got my ex inspected and they told my the tires need to be replaced soon cause of dry rottening on the outside below the tread. i was looking at my local whoremart and i can get bridgestone revo at's in 245/75/16 for 129 a tire. the place i got it inspected they can get me Hankook DYNAPRO ATM RF10 all four tires for 513 plus tax. whitch would be a better choice? keep in mind i need a cheaper a/t tire. trust me i'd rather have yoko geolander at/s or toyo open country but cant afford them now. thank you guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh and i forgot to say it is a daily drive that is going to see some light off roading for hunting and must perform good in the snow need to get back and forth to work.

Perhaps check out treadwright tires... they have received decent reviews on here. You can get a pretty aggressive tread design for reasonable $$$

firestone destination A/Ts i picked up 4 brand new mounted and balanced for 530
ive done quite a bit i believe for an A/T and i have no complaints about them. ive also had them for about a year and i still have about 80% tread.

i really wasnt a big fan of the firestone a/t tires. i just didnt like the way the tread design looked. who has the treadweight tires on and how good are retread tires? i'm just alittle worried about a re-tread tire. i dont wannd pay all that money and have them fly aprt or blow up in a month or two. if anyone would have sum pics of them on there rig i'd like to see and your opion on them.

I have the Firestone Destination LE's on my explorer. They are quiet, decent ride, good performance, and excellent in the snow. They blow away the Goodyear Wranglers that were on there.

They are an excellent buy for the quality/performance versus price...

Kumho kl78 at. They are 93 each at discount tire for 265/75-16 don't know about your size

i just checked discount tire and they were 127 for 245/75/16. i might go with the retreads 420 shipped and my wifes uncle will mount and balance them for free.

This may not be your thing, but I've been doing it for a while.

I go to a used tire place. Both for my car and sploder.
I just got 4, 265/70/16 BFG Radials mounted and balanced with 80% tread left for $185.

i was lookin for a place like that around here. i emailed a guy but he never got back to me yet

NTB stores(National Tire Battery),is having a buy 3 get 1 free sale till the end of July around Chicago.I would think this is a national sale..
16" Yokohama's AT/S are roughly $115 each here,so you can get all 4 mounted for much less then $513 as you were quoted earlier.

i foud a place online that i can get toyo open country at for 93 big ones a tire new.

Do NOT buy the Toyo Open Country HT for your Explorer. Our '05 came with BFG Rugged Trails, which wore out after 42000 miles. I bought the HTs because they were cheaper. Their traction is so bad, however, that it made an immediate negative difference to the handling. The auto 4x4 was constantly engaging because there wasn't enough traction to the rear wheels. After 45000 on the HTs, I went back to the Rugged TRails. It is like night and day with the improved handling to the explorer. Spend the extra $100 - it could literally be worth your life.

i was looking at the all terrian not the highway tread. has anyone tryed mastercraft tires?

got them on our boat trailer, but other than that, none here.

cause one of the local shops can get me the mastercraft Courser A/T for 120 a tire. i wanna see if they can get me the Courser C/T

getting new rubber put on this morning. ill post sum pics later

old tire 235/70/16 highway tread sucked. new tire is a hankook dynapro atm rf10 size 245/75/16. great so far look real good to.

DSCN0338.jpg

DSCN0340.jpg

DSCN0341.jpg

I have the same Hankook tires on my 02 limited and really like them, I have had them on there since last nov. and still look new, I had the 285/75/17 on my F150 supercrew and really like them, so I put them On my X, well last weekend I put 2.5" strut spacers in the front and 2" in the rear and the 245`s look little so I`m going to get the hankook 265`s to put on it I thought the 285`5 that might a tight fit, you will love them:thumbsup::D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back