needed Wiring Diagram Explorer 1992 to install Alarm remote start and keyless entry | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

needed Wiring Diagram Explorer 1992 to install Alarm remote start and keyless entry

pachakutek

Reaction score
City, State
San Mateo,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '92 Eddie Bauer
Hi there!

I bought an alarm with remote start and keyless entry for my truck Explorer EB 1992.
Does anybody know where I can find the wiring diagram or a DIY write up on how to install this?
Thanks!

Tona

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow... thanks! That's exactly what I wanted.
I found elaborated (read= confusing) wiring diagrams that had way more info than I needed. 12volt.com shows the colors only with their labels (just what I need!)

I have been using the12volt for YEARS....

I think I was directed there from an old BBS (what these type of boards USED TO BE CALLED back in the day) in `99 or `00....

Ryan

I've been installing electronics on my cars n friends for a while now ..... Never heard of it before. Thanks again.... Will try to snap some pictures and maybe even put together a write up...

While your messin around with the starter wires you might want to put in a push-to-start button. Mine is fun.

While your messin around with the starter wires you might want to put in a push-to-start button. Mine is fun.

Funny that you mention that... I do have one installed on my Jetta, and it is a lot of fun (the only way to start the car now, since I disable the key lock starter).

But for the truck I think having REMOTE start it's going to be more than enough fun :D

I'm planning on doing this weekend (I spent an hour last night labeling the wires, so I don't waste much time when doing the installation.) Stay tuned, I will post pics at least....

I'm planning on doing this weekend (I spent an hour last night labeling the wires, so I don't waste much time when doing the installation.) Stay tuned, I will post pics at least....

Please do update. I'm thinking of doing the same. What model kit are you installing?

Cool... since I got some audience already waiting to see something... I will post some pics and eventually do a writeup. (given that my installation actually works.. :) )

Ohh... and this is the unit I got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250342240974

Supposed to have like ~0.5mi range (FM) and bunch of features (see ad). The brand is Carvox made in China.

I hate to do free advertising... but these guys are really good with the shipping and stuff. I got it really quick. Yet to see if the unit actually performs as expected.

So far the instructions are really good (a booklet in English rather than engrish as you might find in chinese some products) - I even have all the wires identified and labeled.

did you ever get that thing installed?how does it work?

Thats funny thats the exact one I have book marked. Let us know if its worth it.

yes... and it was fairly straight forward... however, not perfect yet. Here's the deal: (maybe someone can help too... hopefully is not too confusing)

- Lock and unlock car (arm/disarm alarm)... no problem
- With alarm armed, I can remote start.... no major problem here either (sometimes car dies right after, but the system retries automatically and engine stays on eventually)

The PROBLEM:
- I cannot turnoff the car after remote started. (LOL!!!)

Supposedly, you can turnoff the car by pressing the brake (disarm>get in the car>press brake> engine stops) But nothing, the engine still running!

You should also be able to "get control" of the ignition lock by: disarm>get in the car> put key in ON position> press brake (after this you should be able to turnoff the car as usual) But again nothing..... car still runs even after I get the key off the ignition

The only way that I could turn off the car is with the remote control... the same way I remotely started.

Workaround solution (not ideal):

I later discover that the following sequence works to "get control" of the ignition lock. (but is not ideal since alarm goes off):

Arm > Remote Start (engine starts)> disarm > Get in car> close door > Put ON ignition > Arm again > Press brake (now car is controlled by key as usual, I can drive or kill engine by turning key to off.... but the alarm goes OFF!)

Also to turn off with brake I can do:

Arm > Remote Start (engine starts)> disarm > Get in car> close door > Arm again > Press brake (car turns off, but alarm goes off too)

Conclusion so far....

The brake wire is sending the right signal, but the module only "considers" it when the alarm is armed... but that's is not the normal behavior. If you enter your car to drive it, the alarm should be disarmed.... So malfunctioning unit? or installation error? not sure yet... any ideas?

If anyone have a suggestion please share.... I did take pics, I will posting soon...

Does it have something to do with passive arming ? Maybe ? How hard was it to install ?

Does it have something to do with passive arming ? Maybe ? How hard was it to install ?

Possibly. I'll look into it.... I read something like that in the12volt forum.

No, it's not hard to install at all. You just to tackle one wire at time... The only hard part was to locate the wires... I took some pics... Will make it a lot easier. I'll post them soon.

If someone has some more comments about the brake wire, pls share.

SOLVED!!! :rolleyes:

There are some wires that I'm not using (stuff like immobilizer override, etc), since they don't apply for my truck.... Well there was this "ignition input" wire that I didn't think I needed (I thought it's another alarm trigger...)

Well it turns out that it WAS needed. I hooked it up and it all works as expected.

There is a feature to rollup the windows... I'll try that tomorrow before I close it all up... I still have all the wiring on my floor mat.

Here are some teaser pics... I will try to get more (better pics) before I close it up... and also write some directions/tips.

The box

IMG_0160.jpg

Labeled wires

IMG_0161.jpg

Mockup

mockup_labeled.jpg

crimping_thingies

crimping_thingies.jpg

Starter wire at front left

IMG_0166.jpg

Tach wire

tan_yellow.jpg

Door Unlock wires

door_lock_unlock.jpg

Ignition harness wires

ignition_wires.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweeet..Keep them coming. Now Im buying two of them. Let us know if the window thing works.

Back