• Register Today It's free!

New AVH-P4100DVD Stereo

mahoghany_soul

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
So I ordered this stereo about a week ago and it finally came in. I wanna do it all by myself, but I'm a lil bit of a newbie/Barbie when it comes to this stuff. I'm not sure what kinda tools or connectors I will need. However, I wanna be self sufficient and not take it to a stereo shop if at all possible. I haven't exactly seen the types of info or pictures on install that I think I need on here. If anyone can please explain this just a little for me. Getting the tools is no prob since I'm a lil bit of a tomboy too. I have a 12" sub and 300 watt amp in the back. Factory stereo that I need to know how to take out and one more thing...will my car alarm be affected if I start messing with this, it is also aftermarket.

First off where did you get it from? did it come with any wiring harness or mounting hardware?

If not, the easiest way would be to pick up a wiring harness, they sell them all over, best buy, online, wherever. As for tools, you dont need much, wire strippers, wire connectors, and crimpers.

Take the plastic trim off (just find a corner and pull it off its just held in by clips) unhook the 3 or so wires for your hazard light button. There should be 2 bolts somewhere around a half inch, i dont remember the exact size, just take them out and the stock radio should slide out. Unhook the antenna and wires from the stock radio. From there its pretty much matching wires. Your radio will have a wiring diagram with it to tell you which wire is which and the wiring harness will also. Just match them up. If you dont buy a wiring harness you can also just cut the wires behind the stock connector and search for a diagram online to tell you which wire is which. I'm probably overlooking some stuff this is second nature to me so if you have any questions feel free to ask. If you have your subs hooked up to your stock radio you most likely have a converter box the rca plugs will be hooked into, you can scrap that, your new radio will have rca connectors made specifically for your subs. And no unless you seriously mess something up you shouldn't have a problem with any alarm system.

Another note, please unhook the negative terminal from your battery before playing with anything.

If you dont have the install bracket or harness check out crutchfield.com Their install kits are amazing. They are step by step with very detailed pictures. With their kit I did my first install in about an hour and a half.

i put the 3100dvd in my rig about 6 months ago. peice of cake. i also wired in a relay so that you can watch the dvd while the car is in motion....VERY EASY TO DO....google it. dvd bypass for your model

Back