New Ball Joints on D44

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Ok, well I put in the new ball joints in the Dana 44 knuckles today. I got them installed the way the factory ones were, but noticed a small threaded piece that came in the box of ball joints. There wasn't one on the stock ones when I pulled them off, unless it was already pulled off when I bought the 44. Anyone know what this is and if I need it?

Attachments

• 80.jpg
    80.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 185

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep you do and the old part is still in your inner C. It goes in the top ball joint position of the inner C and is used to "dial in" pre-load on the ball joint.

Oh ok, I just looked and saw them in there. It's been so long since I've actually looked at the axle instead of the ton of parts on the shelves and floor. Thanks, Rick :)

And I need the Ball Joint Spanner Wrench to remove it, correct?

Yes.

You can try reassembling with the old ones in there. After torquing the ball joints to spec you should be able to turn the knuckle with slight resistance and no binding. Sometimes it works as is, and sometimes you have to mess with the pre-load.

Ok, thanks guys.

Back