Dana 44 Ball Joint Sleeve > Replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44 Ball Joint Sleeve > Replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
The Upper-Ball joint Sleeve on my Dana 44 front won't come out. They are rusted in and the castelated "prongs" at the top are pretty much eaten away by whoever tried to remove them before I bought the axle.

Sleeve:
fa4907-2.jpg

Anyways, I have three options:

1) Since I already have the "C"s (or "inner knuckle") sliced from the axle tubes (to get proper pinion angle and caster), I could knock the "C"s out and replace them with another pair (ones with better ball joint sleeves). The problem with this option is that I would need to go to the junk yard and pull the replacement "C"s from the donor vehicle - which is not an easy job without power tools (grinder).

2) I could try taking a Dremel to the sleeve and slicing them out of the "C" - the problem is I might have to redo/retap the threads on the "C" because they look pretty rusted and dead.

3) I could just leave the old sleeves in and hope for the best.

What do you guys think? Is it required to replace the sleeve when replacing the upper ball joint? I'll probably try option 2 over the weekend but I'm not too sure its going to work.

Oh and if anyone has a set of Dana 44 "C"s they're not using, I'll gladly take them off your hands :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torquing those sleeves is part of the BJ install process. I've heard, at least. :D

Yeah so I've heard too.. 40 ft/lbs.
GUH, I guess that means option 3 is out.

I took my out but only to clean and paint everything. Mine were fine, however I do live in california :p

not sure what to tell you, I think I would leantords leaving them in, if you can get the Ball joints tourqed right. :rolleyes:

I have a couple of extra sets of C wedges :D (you mean the rubber inserts right?)

I don't think you're trying hard enough to get them out. Drop those things into a bucket of WD or something. :)

Stic-o said:
I have a couple of extra sets of C wedges :D (you mean the rubber inserts right?)
hehe thanks but i'm running a 3-link.

section525 said:
I don't think you're trying hard enough to get them out. Drop those things into a bucket of WD or something. :)
Yeah, maybe you're right ;)

An option I wasnt going to mention (but I might as well) was shoving a bent rod (like an L shape - with the same diameter as the sleeve's I.D.) up the center of the sleeve and then carefully welding this bent rod to the sleeve - and then turning the rod hoping the sleeve will go with it. I might give this a try over the weekend before the slicing the sleeve idea.

EDIT: I just remembered that the sleeve has a notch in it. So maybe I can make the same protrusion in that L-shaped rod I mentioned above to kind of act as a "key" - like how some motor shafts interface with gears .

That's a lot of sausage. You have some strange junk in your favorites.

section525 said:
You have some strange junk in your favorites.
hehe I was going to post my pic jumping the new ledges in front of the washington monument but my friend hasnt sent it to me yet, so i looked online for someting even better :D fortunately, national geographic had that pic

Buy some Crane inner Cs :thumbsup:

Rick said:
Buy some Crane inner Cs :thumbsup:
Thanks Rick, I'll keep that in mind.
I'm going to first try welding a rod to the sleeve and twisting - cauz I'd like to have this D44 assembled by middle of next week.

BTW, what is Crane's website's URL? I couldnt find it using Google.

EDIT: nevemrind, found it

One interesting thing about the Crane "C"s is the design - it has a "castelated" inner part. It seems like it might be a little tough changing the caster angle once you have it welded in (imagine trying to slice the weld)

CHC_D44I_04%2007%2006.jpg

That would suck. But pretty damn bling. What knuckles are you running?

They match my Explorer too.

<-----

I'm running a set of J20 knuckles but everything outside of the knuckles if from a K20 to change to 8-lug (bought the knuckles before the 8-lug switch).. I'm getting the knuckles back from bead-blasting tomorrow and then its onto paint :D

Yeah you should get Crane "C"s, they'd go well with your Explorer - and the white house behind it. :confused:

Scariest thing ever, I'm here in my room (3:17am) and I just heard what sounded like a dying cat outside. I'm freaked out! :eek:

IZwack said:
I'm getting the knuckles back from bead-blasting tomorrow and then its onto paint :D

Scariest thing ever, I'm here in my room (3:17am) and I just heard what sounded like a dying cat outside. I'm freaked out! :eek:

Paint? I thought you were anti-paint. I almost painted my knuckles pink in memory of Blee. :eek:

You're scared of dying cats?

I'm anti-paint if I'm going to weld to it ;) But these knuckles will never see the arc.

I'm afriad of anything dying at 3am in the morning.

I gotta go to sleep tho, I gotta go to the machine shop tomorrow to get the knuckles (off from work woo). Cyall

I have a set of the Crane inner Cs. They came bare metal. Their knuckles came painted black. The green is just used in their ads.

Thanks for the link KirbyN. I'm going to first try to drive the sleeves out tomorrow.

They are soaking in lube right now and tomorrow, I'm going to shove the old-ball joint's shaft (the rod part with the thread at the end - I've cut the "cup" part of the ball joint), weld it to the sleeve, and try to rotate the two welded pieces together.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I've been defeated :eek:

I tried my approach of welding the shaft part of the ball joint to the sleeve but the weld broke after torqing it with about a 4.5 ft pipe extension.

So I admitted defeat and knocked out the "C"s

d44_no_c.jpg

You can see how rotten the thread on the "C" was in the image below - so it probably is a good idea to get it replaced anyway.

d44_rottedsleevethread.jpg

Other than CRANE, does anyone else know of a company that sells new "C"s?
I E-mailed PartsMikeParts but no reply yet (its Sunday duh).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back