New battery won't start car in 3 days | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New battery won't start car in 3 days

guy48065

Reaction score
City, State
se MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited 4.6
I'm starting to look for the source of my mystery load that keeps draining my battery. Does every circuit first go through the PDB under the hood?
I have a 450mA drain that doesn't go away when I pull each fuse.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if there is anything aftermarket installed, look at that first. Have found many issues with draw on the batt. Most have been from remote starts, keyless entry, stereos, amps, things like that. I am not sure about explorers, but in general factory keyless will usually go into a "sleep" mode and if it is not doing this it can drain the batt. also. Just my 2 pennys.

The PCM & radio have a constant drain. Did you try pulling the fuses in the vehicle (not under the hood)?

I haven't pulled any interior fuses yet because I assume those panels get power from a big fuse in the under - hood PDB. Am I right?

That's a bit of a problem. I'm looking for a drain of a fraction of an amp but to pull the fuses in the interior panel(s) the door needs to be open -- and that's 5 amps worth of bulbs.

How do ppl find these small parasitic loads?

And again. ..
DO ALL CIRCUITS GO THROUGH THE PDB UNDER THE HOOD?

Sorry to shout. ..

The interior box is all controlled by the box under the hood.

The interior box is all controlled by the box under the hood.

Then I can limit my search to non - factory since none of the outside fuses killed the .5A load.

Back