New intake / cat-back exhaust worth it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New intake / cat-back exhaust worth it?

golthem

Reaction score
City, State
West Stockbridge, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer EB v6
Hey guys! I have a 2006 v6 4.0. I have been doing some digging around the forum to see what people's thoughts around a new intake and cat-back exhaust for the v6 are, but it seems like there are a lot of mixed feelings out there. Has anyone had a good experience with this modification or seen any performance improvements? Do you think it's worth it? Any preferred brands?

I'd start with one for a 4.63v and then find the truck that it fits ;)

Honestly, a cai wouldn't bother, but a V6 with loud exhaust sounds awful IMO.

I DO have a warm air intake on my V8....about all it does it make sure you can hear the engine when you get on it. Mileage is the same, etc.

Whatever you would spend on buying and installing the modifications to a v6 is better spent adding to what you get selling your current Explorer and buying a 4.6L V8 version. This gets you 82hp more and you won't get more than 10-15% of this amount doing intake and/or exhaust mods to a V6.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! I definitely get it as far as the V8 goes. If I could go back, I'd probably look for that over the V6, but at this point I've invested some money in the thing and it is a good car, so I'm not sure if I'm passionate enough about it to go trade it in.

At the end of the day, it seems like the answer to the initial question is: "Nope. Not worth it."

Back