New Mods! Ventureshield Clear Bra, Lamin-x Tinted Headlights & Tint all around (Pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Mods! Ventureshield Clear Bra, Lamin-x Tinted Headlights & Tint all around (Pics)

Harley#356

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Latest round of mods for the Sport....about 1/2 of the way there till it's at the *perfect* point for DD duties.

Mods complete:
-Full Interior LEDs
-LED puddle lamps
-LED tag lights
-LED reverse lights
-5000k Morimoto HID headlights
-Tint all around (15% rear, 35% front, 15% brow)
-Ventureshield Clear Bra on bumper, grille, & rear bumper pad
-Lamin-x tinted headlight film

Mods on the shelf:
-Black Ecoboost liftgate emblem
-3.5L Twin Turbo door emblems
-LED turn signals front & rear

Mods to do:
-Weathertech mats
-HID foglights (LED ones were a flop)
-Roush Intake
-Roush Catback
-MGP caliper covers

Anyway onto this mod....we've had Reno from Armortec install clear bras on all our vehicles. The mustang we traded for the Sport had the bra on since 2010, 30k miles later, still looked brand spanking new, and not a chip on the bumper! Worth every penny! Reno's done our mustang, my Raptor, my sister's focus, my dad's Sonata, my buddy's f150, and now our Sport. Excellent work, highly recommend him to anyone in the NJ area!

Can't really see anything in the pics of the clear bra, but it's on the full front bumper, and the 3 grille bars. He can do more, but I didn't want a line on the hood or fenders, and the bumper/grille takes 95% of the rock chips anyway, so it's cleaner doing just the bumper since you see no seams with it going to the edge. He also did the rear bumper trunk lip, to protect the paint on the in/out. I didn't like the look of the Ford piece, and this provides more protection and is nearly invisible.

Bra-01.jpg

Bra-02.jpg

I ordered the lamin-x kit for the sport with tinted headlight film, and non-tinted foglight film and had Reno install that as well. Normally I get clear-bra on the headlights/fogs too, but since I wanted the tinted look on the headlights I got lamin-x to try. It turned out really nice. The pics are hard to show the true look, but in person it looks great. The factory taillights are a tinted red, yet the factory headlights are bright azz orange. Their light smoke tint is just enough to tame down the amber, but not cut down on light output. It looks like how it should have come factory....

Bra-03.jpg

Stock......

Bra-04.jpg

Tinted.....(any cloudiness is just from it being installed literally 10 seconds before the pic was taken, it clears up as you smooth it out, then as it sits in the sun).

Bra-05.jpg

Passenger side tinted.....drivers side factory.....subtle but does the trick!

Bra-06.jpg

This is during the install, you can see the amount of smoke to the tint on the little tabs hanging over onto the paint that get trimmed off once the install is complete...

Bra-07.jpg

BEFORE:

Bra-08.jpg

AFTER:

Bra-09.jpg

Parking lights still look nice and orange with them on even with the tint, since it's light, but just enough to tame down the amber reflectors...

Bra-10.jpg

Headlights still nice and bright, especially with HIDs, the tint actually takes a bit of the glare out.

Bra-11.jpg

The best pics....standing a few feet back, with the rest of the black grille, the lights actually appear darker than when you're standing close. Looks badazz!

Bra-12.jpg

We also got tint all around. 15% layered over all the factory tint on the rear windows, and 35% on the front doors, and a 15% windshield strip...

Bra-13.jpg

Now the rear windows are limo pitch black....perfect!

Bra-14.jpg

No need for a cargo shade when the windows are nice and dark!

Bra-15.jpg

Bra-16.jpg

I'd love to park it next to another bone stock white sport to really get a side by side before/after look

Bra-17.jpg

Same tint combo as my Raptor with 15% over the factory rear glass, and 35% on the front glass, with a 15% brow. Although now I need some lamin-x tinted headlight film for the Raptor! lol

Bra-18.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very nice indeed.

Well done, still very clean.

love it ........

Smoooth, lookin good.

That looks great!!

I agree on the tint, that was the first thing I did. I used limo tint on everything but the fronts. My goal was that no one would be able to see in just walking by....check!

i wish i could do my tint like that.....thats an INSTANT pullover and ticket
by P.D......all day long in New York...

:salute:

yeah thats why I did it with that combo. I didn't take pics from the direct side or rear angle through the sides, but with 15% over the factory rear and only 35% on the front, there's still a noticible contrast between the windows. So when I'm driving towards you it looks like tint, when I'm going past it looks like maybe not since there's contrast still, and once I'm past it doesn't look like there's tint up front since the back is so dark lol. Knock on wood I've had the same combo in my Raptor for 8 months now and so far so good.

Also these pics are with the sunshade closed. WIth it opened the front doesn't look as dark to hopefully lessen the chances for tint tickets.

Lamin-X on Explorer 2011+

Im considering buying Lamin-x tint films for my headlights/ tail lights

Has anyone used them before (pics)?

Cheers,

:usa:

Anyone? I'm interested as well!

Before you do this guys, make sure you check your local/state laws regarding tinting on headlamps and rearlamps.

I can tell you that Virginia law prohibits the tinting or darkening of such lamps as it diminishes the effectiveness of the light.

I'd hate to hear you got a ticket for it.

Welcome to the Forum jtm10_explorer and ***ton.:wavey::wavey:
I have merged the thread with this existing one which has the pictures of the headlamps. There have been many posts on the forum about the poor lighting on non HID models. Keep in mind that any tinting, no matter how light, is going to cut down on the visible light output of the source.

Peter

What darkness did you go with on the headlights
Tint (lightest)
Gunsmoke (med)
Smoked (med-dark)
Charcoal (dark)

What darkness did you go with on the headlights
Tint (lightest)
Gunsmoke (med)
Smoked (med-dark)
Charcoal (dark)

If you look at the pictures he posted, I think he mentioned he went with smoked.

blah blah blah. tint away!

ROFL ! especially if yours is all black.

If anyone is considering pro tinting of any glass on your car, be sure to ask about solar tint - not just color tint.
Solar tint can block UV and heat with or without tint coloring.
Solar tint your sunroof and you will notice it right away in summer.

Looks nice, but I wouldn't ever tint my headlights to reduce light output. Especially if I just did a HID upgrade IMHO

why would you ever want to tint your headlights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's the long term life of the headlight tint like? Does anybody have any experience?

If you ever needed to take the tint off the already dark factory glass windows, wouldn't you ruin the factory glass because of the mess the tint makes? I always wondered that.

Back