• Register Today It's free!

New Purchase

czed

Reaction score
City, State
Canada East Coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 F-150
Going to go and look at a 2005 Explorer with the 4.6L engine. Anything I should be looking for? I live in salt infested eastern Canada so rust will be my number one concern. Seller has it listed as VG condition and everything works, needs a couple of things like front pads and possibly a front wheel bearing. I was looking at a V6 Explorer bust since I had a 4.6L F-150 4x4 already and really like the engine, I decided to hold off until I found something like this one. Just looking for advice, I haven't really heard of any inherent issues regarding these vehicles, but maybe something I am unaware of? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

make sure to check out :

the wheel bearings in the rear
any shifting problems
the defroster air flow
the blend door ( hot to cold air selection )
the output of the blower motor

the biggest problem I have with my 04, revolves around anything to do with the tempreature controls...

I just bought a 2002 with a 4.6, with 200k miles, in surprisingly good condition, my bodyman bud told me they're the best Ford products out there for corrosion resistance. I have corrosion in the door bottoms, an easy fix, which will happen tomorrow, as I am not driving it this week, due to a CEL for EGR, which via the web, I have ordered a DPFE sensor for, apparently, one doesn't change the EGR valve immediately for low flow EGR OBD2 codes, the most common item is that DPFE deal. good ! It looks like I could've been in for a nightmare if the EGR valve had to come out, as the rusty steel bolts are cranked into aluminum, (do I hear galled threads, anyone?) the tube is rough looking, too. The spark plugs are to be treated kindly, apparently, as they're screwed into aluminum, as well, and only about 4 threads - worth, I may put them in with a nut - driver, if I ever have to change them. What I found today, though, bothers me, and you may find it worth looking into. I pulled the cover off the engine, and started pulling connectors, and every one of them was corroded at the contacts, I scraped every connector under there, and dielectric greased every one of them and plugged them all back in. there's formed hoses, as well, that you may be wise to replace, everything from alternator connections to the injector and coil plugs, some single gray ones at the front of the heads, I was very surprised at the corrosion, because the 1st impression of beneath the hood, looked so good. I really believe I saved myself from a walk this winter, today. One other thing, that EGR code also gave me a low RPM miss on #1 &#6 cylinders, something I will report back on, when I get the DPFE sensor. It ran great when cold, not so much when warmed up.

Oh, a couple more things... Apparently, the marbles rolling around in the torque converter noise is no big deal, that was almost a deal killer to me, but after researching it, found it was some sort of harmless 'Ford" thing. Also, on the right side of the eng, theres a water shutoff valve that leaks because it's a common failure, EZ fix item, appears to be vacuum operated, on the heater hose, the arm snaps off, and it weeps a little. I also have to R2 the right front window motor/regulator, the motor needs help pushing the window up. Also, Get 2 'real' keys, cuz if you have only one, the second one will cost you a couple hundred dollars. If you have 2 already, a 3rd will only cost $15. Arrrggh, I only have one... (of course) Get the 3rd made early, in case you ever lose one... I'd like to have a transmission dipstick, too. Whose idea was it to not give em one?

I just bought a 2002 with a 4.6, with 200k miles, in surprisingly good condition, my bodyman bud told me they're the best Ford products out there for corrosion resistance.

I don't know about that... here's my Dads that we just did rocker panels on
(I don't have any pix of the finished product but it turned out great.)
This truck is in Eastern Canada too - Newfoundland.

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3669.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3674.jpg

And if you want to look at the work on a 2nd Gen, here's another makeover Dad did himself - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22454

By 05 most of the 'Explorer gremlins' are worked out.
Transmission issues are far less
no more 4x4 control modules
rear end 'whines' are less common too
ABS issues are less common too.

Mainly heat/AC issues - in terms of the blend door as mentioned and the recirc door. Blend door is not a huge issue, but the recirc door is a days labor. Its the door that opens/closes on maxAC. If the blower does not sound louder on MaxAC then the door is not working. here's another post I made on that - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284042

Back