• Register Today It's free!

New Shocks Suggestions...

5.0L V8

Reaction score
City, State
Paradise,Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 5.0 AWD
So the time has come. My '97 AWD need some new shocks under it. It see's mostly pavement....rough, patchy, cracked and pothole infested pavement. And i do occasionally take it on some very bumpys roads down to the river.

Are there any favored/suggested shocks for these explorers? Any type or brand that you guys love under your ride? I dont mind about stiffness. Right now my explorer is riding on a waterbed. Kinda dangerous actually.

The cheaper the better. I am a 21 year old working 40 hours a week at minimum wage.

-Thanks, Evan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody ever run the rancho RS5000's?

i run the RS 5000's and i love them. for the money, they are the best buy hands down. i got a set of 4 for my trac for 159 shipped and a 50 dollar rebate on top of that. they arent billsteins, but they ride great on the road and handle business off road too. not to mention they look great.
P1050922.jpg

Hey thanks alot Sonic,Like I said though, i do a fair ammount ( not alot) of bumpy logging road driving. Will Monroes hold up like the rs5000's to off-pavement driving?

I just ordered a set of the RS5000's for my 98 Sport, and will share the results after I get them in! I travel 30 miles of dirt road, followed by 35 miles of highway to and from every day.

I second the Monroe-Matic Plus shocks, picked up a set for $117 (O'Reilly's) and love them. I'm 18 years old working 40+ hours a week at $8.25 an hour and feel you on the budget. The Monroe's were perfect for me.

i got 4 of the yellow monroe's for ~90$. probably the cheapest you can get. they work fine for what i need them to do.

Hey thanks alot Sonic,Like I said though, i do a fair ammount ( not alot) of bumpy logging road driving. Will Monroes hold up like the rs5000's to off-pavement driving?
It's all depends of speed and road quality. It's an unpaved road, not "off-road" so I think you should be fine.
Just don't over inflate the tires, use the value from the door sticker. Any increase in tire pressure will put extra strain in your bearings, ball-joints, frame, shocks, so on...
PS: RS5000 are actually Monroe Reflex with a red boot.

Good to know Young mounty. Im in the exact same boat as you man !
It's unpaved roads, un grated mainly, no rocks to crawl over or HUGE potholes to traverse. Just bumps...and alot of them.
Hey young mounty, how hard was the install?

I just bought 2 NEW fronts and 2 NEW Rears of the Monroe Monro-Matic Plus'. Went through Amazon and got em for $89.73+ free shipping. Good deal yeah? Only downside is that since i didnt go through Orielly autoparts, I dont think the limited lifetime warranty still applies does it?

Any authorized Monroe dealer should honor the warranty, always keep receipts.
The problem with not buying locally is shipping. Shocks are heavy, it would probably
cost more for shipping than just buying them. That is, IF Amazon warranties them.

Yeah, thats true. Never thought about return shipping IF they did fail. But at under a $100.00 for four of 'em...i'll take my chances.

Good to know Young mounty. Im in the exact same boat as you man !
It's unpaved roads, un grated mainly, no rocks to crawl over or HUGE potholes to traverse. Just bumps...and alot of them.
Hey young mounty, how hard was the install?

Quite possibly the easiest thing I've done to my car yet. You don't even have to jack up the rear. Some of the places to tighten bolts down are a little tight but a good set of tools and some patience made it super easy.

NAPA has basically painted Monroe shocks. The Monroe sensa-tracs are pretty great. I can't remember exactly who but an ST member recently got blue shocks from NAPA for a lot less than the black monroes. Literally thats the difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back