new to explorers and the site. need help deciding what explorer to buy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new to explorers and the site. need help deciding what explorer to buy

steveomd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 f250
Hello everyone.
My name is steven, I'm 27, and live in Beaumont ,ca. A few months ago my father bought a 1969 Manx buggy and is going to be taking it to glamis. Let me rewind a bit, neither my father nor I are strangers to offroading its just been like 5 or more years since we have gone. So fast forward to now, I want to build a vehicle that meets 3 criteria
1). Seats 4 people
2) has moderate to high power output for driving in the sand (glamis and dessert)
3). Very very good suspension (like Cadillac smooth)
So naturally I thought explorer. Now to my questions

A). What year explorers are the rig of choice these day for my needs.
B). What explorer will give me the best bang for my buck and provide the best suspension option .
C). ANY OTHER ADVICE YOU HAVE FOR ME :)

I would look for an Explorer with the 5.0L V-8. Even without modification it gives you a decent power-to-weight ratio and there are ALL kinds of mods available for the 5.0 since it was the same motor they were putting in Mustangs. A mild lift kit and wide tires and you should be sitting pretty.

Welcome! I'm right down the freeway in Calimesa. I've got a couple tips for your first explorer purchase:

Best bang for the buck as far as suspension is a 91-94 with the I beam (2wd) / TTB (4wd) front end, however power to weight ratio is pretty weak. You could swap a newer V8 into one if you have the time/money.

A newer explorer that comes with 5.0L v8 has plenty of power but because of the a-arm front end your options for aftermarket suspension are pretty limited unless you spend a whole lot of money on a long travel kit ($2000+ for 2wd or $4000+ for 4wd).

bad ass dude. my brother-in-law lives in calimesa. i grew up in yucaipa my whole life but when push came to shove, i purchased a home in beaumont (you can't beat the house deals out here). I looks like the general consensus is the TTB as far as suspension goes. and then a v8 for power. also i have had people tell me that re gearing them is like night and day when it comes to power.

Back