All Tire Rack questions answered here | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All Tire Rack questions answered here

Status
Not open for further replies.
*Due to the large inventory of tirerack, I ask that you just post the make and model of your vehicle. Thats it! Thats all you have to do! I will do the rest, meaning, I will post all the packages and all of the individual deals including the different sizes based on your requests.*

Well folks, this is the place where all of your tire questions can be answered. I am the starter of this thread, so I will be the one answering your questions. I will make sure that everything is "up to par" and that I answer your questions promptly by working diligently.

So don't be afraid to ask, message, or email me. I am here to help you. I will be posting the latest deals on tires so don't forget to keep checking back here if what you had in mind wasn't on sale at the time.

So lets hear it folks, how may I assist you in your tire, wheel, and brake purchasing ventures? I am here to help.

~TireRackMike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Mike I was wondering would it be possible to find a set of Adrenaline 20'' 2008 model for my 2006 Ford Explorer Limited? I started a thread on 2006+ modified Explorers and I was referred to you. Thanks so much

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hi Mike Paul here I have 315-35-17 on the rear of my Explorer sport now and I am looking for something a little bit more taller than the 26" (25.5")that they are. I am looking for something around 27"-28" tall to fill the rear tire wheel well up but I want to keep the width of the tire because it looks so good under there. Here is a pics of my Turbo Explorer Sport. I also need them to have a z speed rating or better as well because I drive it at 125+ mph. :D

The tires you have on there are pretty much the best we can do. We can't really go any taller without going a lot wider and you said you want to keep the width the same. You can try checking out 4wheelparts.com, they might have what you are looking for. :)

Hey Mike I was wondering would it be possible to find a set of Adrenaline 20'' 2008 model for my 2006 Ford Explorer Limited? I started a thread on 2006+ modified Explorers and I was referred to you. Thanks so much

We don't carry Adrenaline, I'm sorry, is there another brand you might be interested in?:p:

Hi Mike,

The tires I'm looking at for my Expedition EB don't come in the stock 275/60-17 size. The closest size I have found is 255/65-17 with a .2% speedo error. I can live with that.

I would assume there shouldn't be an issue with the less width, since the XLT comes with 255's, although on 16" wheels.

The load rating is 108 - 2205 lbs. per tire. Base curb weight of the Expy is 4891 lbs.

Whatcha think? Any issues?

Thanks

MIKE,

how you doin fella ?

got another ? for ya... - 2003 explorer XLS 4x4

ive been looking at my fenders compared to the width of my tire, and i would like to get a WIDER TIRE... i want to get my tire and fender to sit flush. i have the stock 16x7 rim... do i have to get a taller tire to go wider ??? i have 235/70/16 right now

any suggestions ?

thanks you

Danny

*Due to the large inventory of tirerack, I ask that you just post the make and model of your vehicle. Thats it! Thats all you have to do! I will do the rest, meaning, I will post all the packages and all of the individual deals including the different sizes based on your requests.*

Looking for a solid AT tire with excellent snow and ice rating.

2005 Explorer XLT 4.0 4WD

Hi Mike,

I'm eying a tire & wheel package off Tire Rack.... I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT.... Do you think I would have any issues with rubbing with 255/50/20 size tires?

I would be upgrading from the factory tires/wheels on my truck.... Never purchased tires that large before so I'm a bit in the dark...

I'm going to get the Zinik Z26 Vieri's w/ the machined lip with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires.

Here's a rough idea of how they'll look on my truck (paintshopped them on):

explorerzinik.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

The tires I'm looking at for my Expedition EB don't come in the stock 275/60-17 size. The closest size I have found is 255/65-17 with a .2% speedo error. I can live with that.

I would assume there shouldn't be an issue with the less width, since the XLT comes with 255's, although on 16" wheels.

The load rating is 108 - 2205 lbs. per tire. Base curb weight of the Expy is 4891 lbs.

Whatcha think? Any issues?

Thanks

Nope, no sir reBob! I dont see that you would have any issues with that selection. You are thinking correctly, let me just confirm your already correct way of thinking ;)

Hi Mike,

I'm eying a tire & wheel package off Tire Rack.... I have a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT.... Do you think I would have any issues with rubbing with 255/50/20 size tires?

I would be upgrading from the factory tires/wheels on my truck.... Never purchased tires that large before so I'm a bit in the dark...

I'm going to get the Zinik Z26 Vieri's w/ the machined lip with the Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires.

Here's a rough idea of how they'll look on my truck (paintshopped them on):

explorerzinik.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Mike

I called up TireRack and they said you shouldn't have any issues, but they did suggest that you lift you truck just a tad because it might look funny on a stock truck. Are you thinking about lifting at all? In any case, you wont have to worry about rubbing, you will do just fine

MIKE,

how you doin fella ?

got another ? for ya... - 2003 explorer XLS 4x4

ive been looking at my fenders compared to the width of my tire, and i would like to get a WIDER TIRE... i want to get my tire and fender to sit flush. i have the stock 16x7 rim... do i have to get a taller tire to go wider ??? i have 235/70/16 right now

any suggestions ?

thanks you

Danny

You probably will have to go taller to get wider in your case but you might experience rubbing if you get your tires too "flush" with your fenders. I would only recommend doing this if by "flush" you mean "almost flush." The reason I say this is because when you turn your wheel all the way to the left or right you will almost certainly experience some rubbing.

Looking for a solid AT tire with excellent snow and ice rating.

2005 Explorer XLT 4.0 4WD

First of all I would like to thank you for your excellent post. THIS IS WHAT I NEED GUYS! Precise and to the point! Thank you so much, again.

Here are my suggestions for you. You will find the link for these suggestions here Prices range from $89.00-$161.00 per tire:

1. BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO

2. Bridgestone Dueler A/T D695

3. Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

4. Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT

5. Firestone Destination A/T

6. Fuzion XTi

7. General Grabber AT 2

8. Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor

9. Kumho Road Venture AT KL78

10. Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61 *NEW*

11. Michelin LTX A/T 2

12. Pirelli Scorpion ATR
(On-/Off Road All-Terrain)
SPECIAL OFFER: Buy four get an Iron Man DVD by mail.

13. Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

Hope this helps!

I called up TireRack and they said you shouldn't have any issues, but they did suggest that you lift you truck just a tad because it might look funny on a stock truck. Are you thinking about lifting at all? In any case, you wont have to worry about rubbing, you will do just fine

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I'm really in the dark when it comes to truck modifications.... Why would they suggest the lift, because the truck would sit too low on the 20" rims/wheels?

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I'm really in the dark when it comes to truck modifications.... Why would they suggest the lift, because the truck would sit too low on the 20" rims/wheels?

Yea it would sit too low and probably cause some rubbing when you are turning your wheel if not even turning it at all. You really don't want any kind of rubbing, your new tires will be old in a second!

Hey, Mike.

Great of you to participate on the site.

Can you please tell me what tire(s) you would recommend for these two vehicles?

Vehicle 1: 1998 Mustang GT Convertible with 225/55/16 tires on factory Pony Waffle wheels

Vehicle 2: 1994 Mustang GT Convertible with 225/55/16 tires on factory Pony Waffle wheels

Both are stock suspensions. Both have a stock engine with automatic tranny.

Both call for 35 psi COLD on the glove compartment door placards.

The factory 16" Pony Waffle wheels are 7.5" wide. I might consider going with a wider tire (245 or 255 in a 50-series maybe) if a change in profile height will keep me from a speedometer recalibration and if my 7.5" wide rims aren't too narrow for a 245 or 255 width tire.

Even though both vehicles are the same body style Mustang with the same wheel, I listed them separately in case there is a difference caused by their having different K-members (one for the 5.0 pushrod engine and the other for the 4.6).

Looking for a good all-around tire. Brands I have good experiences with in the past are Michelin, Kumho and Sumitomo.

In order of importance (with all of them being important): Steering Response, Wet Traction, Ride (at least as good as it can ride in Mustangs whose suspensions are based on a 1978 Fairmont), and Tread Life.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I have the Black 2008 sport trac limited with 4x4. 18 chrome wheels with the chrome package. Looking to do 20's and some black with chrome wheels. Show me something.

I have a black 2004 explorer. I want to do black 20s - I wish they made a GT500 replica rim that would fit in black, but my second choice is the BOSS 335 in black, I'm just not a fan of the chrome lip. Would I have any issues with rubbing with 20s? Any other rim suggestions?

Mike (TireRackAffiliate),

Are you still participating in this thread?

OK, so Im new to this and Im looking for a good tire for sand, most of my fun around here is driving in deep sugar sand, what tires would you suggest?

1999 Mercury Mountaineer V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back