new to forum, mileage question? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

new to forum, mileage question?

Yep, if I were still driving out to the desert (Yucca Valley) twice a week I would definitely be in trouble but so far this summer it's been below 90 and I love driving slowly up and down and around the coastline--so beautiful. Thanks for checking out my post!
lucky man said 99 coming home today

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have some interior items to work on: finish refabricing the headliner and reinstall,
icydk, headliner can be bought by the roll at Joannes Fabric ...for $80-$90 ? The aerosol headliner adhesive is expensive at close 20 $30 w/tax, but it's the correct stuff.

To answer the original thread, IMHO,I don't think any mileage is too high as long as the vehicle is healthy. I've got 417K on my 93 sport. I've heard of guys on this page with the auto going over 1/2 million on their Explorers with an Automatic transmission. Mine's a stick and right now all I have wrong is non-working gas gauge (original fuel send), A/C (seized compressor, totally empty system), non-working drivers side window (glass came unglued and track is bent), and next weekend I'm replacing my front coil springs and the abnormally worn front tire(s - you got to replace in pairs to do it properly) because the driver's side clanks (bad insulator plus 1" of drop only on that wheel well). The rest is just silly cosmetic stuff and maintenance. I'm still daily driving it while finishing all this up (though I'm alternating with the car for now because of the springs/tire).

my 1992 explorer s been garaged for 13 years. looking to reactivate it. how high mileage is too high for a 92 sport manual trans?
Hi, I've been driving my 1992 Explorer XL 5 speed manual transmission actively since the day I purchased it. Granted, once I retired it doesn't accumulate the mileage as when I purchased it. It is still going strong at well over 200,00 miles headed for its next grand turnover. Very little maintenance required; I don't take it off-road. Hope that gives you some idea. green Lizzy

thank you greenlizzy, I have about 239k and hoping to get to 300k on it. i just got new tires on it and been putting a few miles on it around town. I have a few projects I'm working on now...the headliner whose fabric was in tatters and I've nearly got it prepped so I can glue the new stuff on. Another is to fix the weatherstripping around the gate windows. A big one is gonna be getting the a/c diagnosed: hopefully it will just need recharging. The hottest time of the year is coming up here in Socal so I'm gonna need that for any road trips east. I just love driving it--the visitibility is incredible compared to my other car and I can listen to all my old cassettes!
Hi, I've been driving my 1992 Explorer XL 5 speed manual transmission actively since the day I purchased it. Granted, once I retired it doesn't accumulate the mileage as when I purchased it. It is still going strong at well over 200,00 miles headed for its next grand turnover. Very little maintenance required; I don't take it off-road. Hope that gives you some idea. green Lizzy

icydk, headliner can be bought by the roll at Joannes Fabric ...for $80-$90 ? The aerosol headliner adhesive is expensive at close 20 $30 w/tax, but it's the correct stuff.
thank you for the advice Childidenticant!

Back