New transfer case, new tranny, same problem.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New transfer case, new tranny, same problem..

5.0 merc

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 merc awd
Origianal Problem = Loud clunk then my mountaineer wouldn't go into any gear at all it just sits there and grinds. won't eve go into park.

Got a new transfer case from pullapart rebuilt by jasper put that baby on and and drove it for about 5 minutes clunk same problem.

This past week put in new transmission and replaced all three you joints. Drove it for about 5 minutes. No clunk this time. I think since I replaced the ujoints but now it won't go into gear and it just grinds. I found this clip I am going to paste on the internet. Its not a ford/merc but it describes my problem exactly. Would some of you experienced memembers/mechanics tell me if it makes since

Of the many owners who have reported front diff failure to me, few if any have had prior warning of the event. One dealer employee reports that an often-missed warning of imminent failure is a loud clunk when changing from drive to reverse and back again. In a notice filed by Land Rover with the NHTSA in March 2005, it is claimed that the premature wear results in "excessive noise". However I have not heard from any owners that have observed these warning signs. The first you usually know about it is when the front driveshaft generates a loud grinding noise caused by the splines being mangled. The vehicle will not accelerate -- putting your foot on the gas is accompanied by more loud grinding noises. There is a total disabling of the drivetrain. Some owners have reported the vehicle's computers have cut power to the engine. The message center tells you to put the transmission in neutral, and forces you to come to an abrupt stop. When it happens on the freeway, you are lucky if you make it to the side of the road to stop safely. You will have to use the parking brake to stabilize the vehicle once stopped -- shifting into "Park" will not hold it on a slope.

Back