New user, new explorer owner, couple of problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New user, new explorer owner, couple of problems.

jskingry

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Hello all,
I have been a Jeep owner since 1994 so having an explorer is a new thing for me. I bought a 1995 X from my sister and it has a couple of annoying problems. The truck is in overall great condition though.
First problem is that it trys to go dead at idel when in drive without the AC on. I have cleaned the MAS as suggested in the forum and my next step is to decarb the engine using seafoam. My sister had this thing at the dealer many times and they replaced the O2 sensors and could never really fix the problem.
Second problem is with the factory alarm. About 30% of the time when you click the disarm button the alarm still goes off when you open the door. The doors unlock and the alarm chirps as if it is shutting off but that darn horn starts screaming.
After driving a 1991 Jeep Wrangler for the last eight years the X feels like a Lexus in comparison, it is very nice and leather seats that actually recline is great. My sis has always mantained this thing including the transmission fluid every 25k, she gaev me a great price on this thing also because of the idle problem and being family.

Does anybody have any suggestions on my prblems.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the board!

First off, I don't think you have a factory alarm because factory alarms don't 'chirp'. You probably have an incorrecly installed aftermarket one!

Checked alarm remote

The alarm remote actually says Ford on it. Chirp may be the wrong word for the noise but it does make a noise when you turn it on or off and it does not sound like the horn. I will check it when I take the dogs out a little later this evening.

Thanks,
Jeremy

The only time a factory Ford alarm will "sound" is when you press your lock button on your remote twice within 2 seconds. If yours makes an audible sound when either arming after one button press or anytime when disarming then you have an aftermarket alarm. They can be hooked up to work with the Ford remotes. The dealer also sells alarms that are private labeled by Ford but made by another company, they would also say Ford on the remote.

As far as your engine almost dieing, that sounds like you have a bad idle air control valve. They run about $70 and take about 10 minutes to replace.

I totally agree with Robert, he beat me to it ;)

Welcome to the other side jskingry.:chug:

Thanks

Thanks guys,
I will break out my multimeter and check that sensor today. Regarding the alarm I guess I will have to probe a little deeper and find out what is installed in it.
Thanks,
Jeremy

Back