• Register Today It's free!

New X owner with a few questions

cgerken44

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer
Hey guys first time posting but I have been reading a lot of the older threads. I do have a few questions. I have an 02 (I know worst year possible) 4.0L v6 with about 134k on it and the 4x4.
1. My rear end howls at lower speeds (around 35-40mph) and also some on the highway (55-65mph). I put the 75w140 in the rear diff. and that didn't really seem to help a whole lot. I also checked for movement (up and down, left and right) at the tires when I put it on the lift and there wasn't any. Can this go on for awhile without anything really being wrong with the gears or what do you think the diagnosis is?
2. As far as gas mileage goes it's obviously not great. If the suggestion is that it's best to change the rear end gears because of the noise should I just go ahead and drop the ratio for better gas mileage? Is this even possible? Suggestions on how to go about it and best setup for it?
3. I also saw some things as far as putting holes in the air box. Does the 02 explorer have the intake suppresor in the box? Or is that the little box that sticks out of the side of the air intake tube before the throttle body? Would removing any of these help with gas mileage or does it just make it louder?
4. I also saw some things on changing the tranny oil to help gas mileage I think? I have no idea if the tranny fluid was changed on a regular basis or not and I know that it's not good at all to change it if it's never been changed. Any suggestions on what I should do about this if anything?

Sorry I know those are some semi complicated questions but I'd really appreciate anyone who could help me answer them. And I'll probably have some follow up questions to some of the answers. Sorry again I'm just trying to make sure I can get this thing to last me as long as possible and at as much of a cost effective way as possible. Thanks again for any help I get.

Welcome to this forum! The 1995 & 2002 fit into this category as far as problems. Take a look at the TSB list for the 2002 model. The TSB for the rear end noise is in the technician forum section of this site.

Welcome to the forum! I would say that the search button is going to be your best friend for the vehicle.

Yeah I've looked around and found some stuff but I guess I was just hoping for a place with all the answers to my questions that I knew was new and going to get answered. I didn't know if some of the other threads would get answered.

Back