• Register Today It's free!

Newbie Question?

jakejeff

Reaction score
City, State
ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 xl
I just purchased warn manual hubs to replace garbage automatic hubs they will not arrive for about 3 -5 day's but I have a few dumb questions before converting.
First time doing anything like this

1. I have read that I need a spindle nut socket, do I need 2 one to remove the garbage auto hubs and one to install warn hubs??

2. When I get new hubs (manual) will their be new bearings to pack or they don't come with bearings?

3. I am going to fraise this the best way i know how..
the assembley that is connected to the spindle currently moves in and out about a 1/4 inch by hand on the driver side but not on the passenger side should it move in and out or not???

4. any other tips so I don't rip all my hair out while attempting this conversion???

thanks everyone awsome site!!

1994 ford x 4.0 xl
2 door

Originally posted by jakejeff

1. I have read that I need a spindle nut socket, do I need 2 one to remove the garbage auto hubs and one to install warn hubs??

No, you dont need it to take the old hub parts off, but you need it to torque the spindle nut against the bearing. 180 ft lbs i believe.

2. When I get new hubs (manual) will their be new bearings to pack or they don't come with bearings?

Sorry, they don't come with new bearings, but that is a good time to buy new ones or regrease the old ones.

3. I am going to fraise this the best way i know how..
the assembley that is connected to the spindle currently moves in and out about a 1/4 inch by hand on the driver side but not on the passenger side should it move in and out or not???

Sorry, dont know about that one

4. any other tips so I don't rip all my hair out while attempting this conversion???

It's a pretty straight foward conversion, take your time and follow the directions and you should be fine.

jakejeff, I believe the inner bearing is pressed on to the spindle. There was a question about this in another thread, Sorry i don't remember which one.

the inner bearing isnt pressed onto the spindle... and actually, the 4x4s dont have a spindle, but rater an axleshaft

Back