• Register Today It's free!

No 4WD on 2000 Ford Ranger

webbnerranger58

Reaction score
City, State
Harrison, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Ranger XLT
Hello My name is Bryan. I am having problems with the 4 wheel drive on my 2000 Ford Ranger XLT. When I turn on the key, The motor starts and the 4WD dash lights come on and then go off. When I switch it into 4 hi The module behind radio in the dash clicks a few times and then stops. I tried taking the transfer case shift motor out like suggest in a thread here, However mine is different then the one in the picture. There is no brown wire or magnetic probes. I took the shift motor apart and there is no way to get to the contacts, but if you get into the armature the magnets are broken and its very corroded. The rubber grommet on the back of the gear is in good shape. I have a motor from an 85 bronco and was wondering if I could take the plugs off of it, and wire it the same as the one that I have. Does anyone know if this will work? If anyone has any ideas on what else this could be, Please let me know. Also since it is corroded could the control module be broken and I need to replace it? Any opinions and ideas are welcome! Sorry for the long post, Lots of snow without 4WD is a *****! Thanks.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the 4wd? Mine quit, once, and this fixed it. It quit again, so I said screw it and bought a set of Rugged Ridge (AGM) manual hubs, which took about 6 minutes a side to convert, and all is well. Cost was about 150$. 1 new hub is about 250$. You still need to use the 4wd switch inside the cab to engage the transfer case. Very reliable.

Back