No start/no spark after engine install :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No start/no spark after engine install :(

Afizzle

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys, would love some insight from you all…

I have an 03 Ford Explorer. It had a bad engine, so I pulled an engine out of an 02 Explorer. Heard it start right up and run great right in front of me before I pulled it. It had a bad trans but the engine ran awesome.

Pulled my engine, dropped in my new engine. Kept all my old acc items, Intake/exhaust mani, etc…

Now I’m dealing with a no start issue. I have fuel pressure at the rail but unknown if the injectors are firing. How would I test them without pulling the rails and physically watching them fire? I tested for spark, no spark. I swapped the cam and crank sensors for new ones, still no start. Swapped the coil pack, still no start. Spark plugs and plug wires are new. Fuses are all intact, relays look good. My old engine ran fine prior to the timing chain guide snapping and windowing the valve cover… so all the sensors, acc items, etc from BOTH engines are all known good.

Ran out of daylight but getting started troubleshooting at 8 am. Figured I’d stop here and see what some of the gurus would do if you were in my situation. Thank you all in advance for any help or insight. Totally open to constructive criticism or information of any kind. Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first off, a big welcome to EF!!!! hope you find all the info you need! is yours v6 or v8? i think to test the injectors, you could take a long flathead screwdriver and press it up to the injector and crank it over and you should hear a tick everytime it fires... i think... as far as spark, you still retained your stock computer, right? also, ahve you ensured that the fuel pump inertia switch is not activated? i chased a no start issue for a long time, only to find it was the simplest thing :banghead:no pats ligh? this probably doesnt apply to you, but ill drop this here in cas...

hope some of this helps!!!:bounce: and hope we can get your 03 up and runnin!:burnout:

Hey guys, would love some insight from you all…

I have an 03 Ford Explorer. It had a bad engine, so I pulled an engine out of an 02 Explorer. Heard it start right up and run great right in front of me before I pulled it. It had a bad trans but the engine ran awesome.

Pulled my engine, dropped in my new engine. Kept all my old acc items, Intake/exhaust mani, etc…

Now I’m dealing with a no start issue. I have fuel pressure at the rail but unknown if the injectors are firing. How would I test them without pulling the rails and physically watching them fire? I tested for spark, no spark. I swapped the cam and crank sensors for new ones, still no start. Swapped the coil pack, still no start. Spark plugs and plug wires are new. Fuses are all intact, relays look good. My old engine ran fine prior to the timing chain guide snapping and windowing the valve cover… so all the sensors, acc items, etc from BOTH engines are all known good.

Ran out of daylight but getting started troubleshooting at 8 am. Figured I’d stop here and see what some of the gurus would do if you were in my situation. Thank you all in advance for any help or insight. Totally open to constructive criticism or information of any kind. Thanks again!
Did you change the coil pack from the old engine to the one on the transplant?
Make sure the wire harness connects the same. I changed one out once and did not pay attention to the connector vertical / horizontal difference.
-Dan

i think OP said he swapped packs, so i figure at least 1/2 should be good... good point about the harness too! were there any wiring changes from 2-3?

i think OP said he swapped packs, so i figure at least 1/2 should be good... good point about the harness too! were there any wiring changes from 2-3?
Not sure, I'm more of a Gen2 guy. I found out that the power supply is switched on the coil. Horizontal is on the left, vertical on the right pin. So not compatible, although you could repin.

-Dan

yeah im not sure either, i have a 98 sohc, so lots probably changed for this gen! ill see if i can find any information on whether anything changed... i assume not, as 02 and 03 are both 3rd gen...

No spark

Did you keep your 02 computer? Engine wiring harness? Is the theft light flashing or does it go off when cranking?

Check connections at crankshaft sensor

Back