• Register Today It's free!

94 Explorer Gas tank Leak

pablo_s

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago,IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
I'm in Acapulco Mexico for the winter and have a leak from on top of the tank. What kind of plastic is the tank made out of so I could possibly seal a crack or any patch ideas. No replacement tank readily available.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure it's the tank leaking, and not the fuel nipple that's part of the fuel pump? The only way you can be sure is to drop the tank. I had the same problem on my 92, and the nipple on the fuel pump rusted through causing the leak. Had to put a new fuel pump in, but that's better than having to replace the tank.

I would check the filler neck tube. It's more probable than the tank or fuel pump assembly. There's been a few threads here about people having the same problem.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup:

I'm in Acapulco Mexico for the winter and have a leak from on top of the tank. What kind of plastic is the tank made out of so I could possibly seal a crack or any patch ideas. No replacement tank readily available.
Chicago to Acapulco sweet!

You can repair the filler tube with gas tank repair packet. It sets up in a min or two. Just unscrew it from the outside of the truck (Where you put the gas nozzle in to fill) and take the hose clamps off underneath where the filler tubes connects into under the truck. Once it is out just look for the hole.

It is real easy to do

Chicago to Acapulco sweet!

Most of the time the leak is from the fuel pump sending unit rusting out.. This part is pictured below and comprises the fuel pump, filter, float and wiring... The return and feed lines at the top connect to the braided stainless steel lines of the Explorer.. Unfortunately the sending units hardlines are made of zinc plated steel and will rust out whereas the stainless hoses remain unaffected..

Fuel_Pump_Sending_Unit.jpg

Yep, if it's leaking gas while on a level surface with the engine running, it's got to be fuel line related. Most likely the fuel pump unit as detailed in the previous post.

The plastic lines that connect to the Sending unit are known to have the retaining clips fail and the little (so called rubber) O ring rot out.

If you have ever had any work done to your tank, the retaining clips could be bad and causing your fuel leak. They even used them on the metal lines.

Now if you have the clips that are like what holds your line to your condenser, then you are for sure looking at a bad/streached out retaining pinch clip and rotted O-ring.

my nipples rottet off.....the sending unit that is.. i dropped my tand in 20 min and took my parts truckes tank and unit total time 2 hours.

Back