• Register Today It's free!

No start with key

Danny santos

Reaction score
City, State
Manteca
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 ford explorer
I picked up an 02 explorer with a bad transmission with NO key. I swapped steering column with my other explorer which I have the key. When I turn the key nothing happens. Starter will engage if I powered the relay. Will only fire if I spray ether in the intake and crank it over from the relay. So I'm wondering if it's an anti-theft issue ? I was hoping by changing the column with its key would work, does the theft system go beyond the coumn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the theft light on the dash blinking rapidly when you try to start it? If yes, you need to program the keys with ForScan or take it to a dealer/locksmith.

No blinking theft light on the dash. I installed the column (from my other explorer)with its original key hoping that would work.

No blinking theft light on the dash. I installed the column (from my other explorer)with its original key hoping that would work.

@Danny santos
I believe your problem is that the Security Module is still looking for the key which worked with the previous column. If you can replace the security module with the one where the column came from, that may work. imp

@Danny santos
I believe your problem is that the Security Module is still looking for the key which worked with the previous column. If you can replace the security module with the one where the column came from, that may work. imp

Then you'll have VIN mismatch problems among modules. It's best to just program PATS from scratch.

Then you'll have VIN mismatch problems among modules. It's best to just program PATS from scratch.
@TechGuru
I am aware of the VIN mismatch situation related to PCM and ABS Modules, but not aware of one with other modules. In my case, replaced faulty ABS Module which was shutting down the vehicle, only consequence is ABS light on continually, code "VIN Mismatch", brakes work normally and truck runs fine. imp

Back