Help identifying a loose connection on 4.6V8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help identifying a loose connection on 4.6V8

2002GreyHD150

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD
hey all... well the 5 month adventure of swapping the engine in my wife's Monty ends this weekend, if it kills me.

I have a no-crank/no-start situation. I have no ignition wire voltage during crank at the starter.

I noticed I have a single, black wire popping out of the main engine harness. It is directly above the #4 spark plug coil on the passenger side. It has a 90* angles female "push on" type connector. I am guessing it is a ground for the PCM, possibly attaching to the top if one of the cam cover hold down studs?

If anyone could snap a quick clear pic of the area around the #4 coil pack, the back of the throttle body and firewall area, I would greatly appreciate it.

I had to transfer all the top end of the Monty to the new donor engine (it was an '03) so I don't have the other engine to use as a reference.

Thanks!

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just driving, running some errands, hoping to see a 4.6L Explorer or Monty. Of course.. when I WANT to see one, can't find one. When I don't need them, see 15 a day... GRRR... I was just going to stop someone and ask If I could take a qquick look.

If anyone has just a minute to snap a pic I would be forever grateful.

Rob

ok.. mustang guys confirm the ground connection goes to the fuel rail, but their intake is aluminum. The connection is the perfect length to attach to the extended stud on the last cam cover bolt. I hooked it up... still no start...

Can anyone with an '02-'05 2v 4.6L run out to the garage and pop the hood, look at the #4 coil and just tell me where the blaack wire attaches? I don't even care about a pic at this point... just confirm its grounded to the block?

Thanks

Rob

One plug not getting power(or ground) won't keep it from running, and it should still crank anyhow even if PCM related.

Not sure which bank . . .forgot where #4 was. I'll see if i can find it. .lol. . long day sorry.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPG
    IMG_0089.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 320

full engine shot.
Added #4

Attachments

• img003sm.jpg
    img003sm.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,468
  • IMG_0092sm.jpg
    IMG_0092sm.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 330

jford its the passenger side rear corner at the firewall area around coil pack #4 and the throttle body.

The last picture is close. just pan out if you could. Its the single black wire coming out of the harness It looks like, as with the mustangs it grounds to the Fuel rail. Which makes no sense, since the intake is plastic.

Rob

Back