No trailer lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No trailer lights

I recently had a trailer hitch and wire installed on my 97 Explorer.
The 4pin wires were connected from inside the Truck in the drivers side rear access panel.
Mid way thru a trip the trailer lights went out. I checked fuse #13 and replaced it with a new one. Still no lights. I hooked the trailer up to a different truck and the lights worked.

Any suggestion on where to look next?
Thanks,
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did test the connection with a test light. When you replaced the old fuse was it blown?

I would get a test light and check each of the wires in the 4 flat, ground the test light to the truck it should blink with each respective light. Then test the ground wire (white) with a ohm meter to make sure you have proper ground. If your not getting power to the colored wires, then I would pull the panel and see what they hooked up, because they may have added a fuse to the inside depending how they hooked up the wires.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the wire check and if no luck, then i'll take her back!

I installed my own trailer plug off of the exsisting wiring to the tail lights.

Yes, I had to remove each tail light, but it works fine.

Just an idea to solve the problem yourself.

:troops:

I found the problem. I blew one of the larger sized 20 amp fuses that was located under the hood.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Glad you got her fixed :thumbsup:

Back