• Register Today It's free!

Noise while driving

fordhead!

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hello everybody, this is my first post in explorerforum.

I bought my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT (157k) 1 year ago. There is a noise coming from the back when I drive at any speed. The faster I go, the louder it gets. The noise feels like if a tire was flat and it was rubbing against the road, like if I was sitting on a plane and there was a lot of wind noise coming from the back. It is low pitch and constant. My guess is either the wheel bearing or the CV joint. It also feels like it comes from the passenger side more than the left side.

I raised my car with the jack to check the passenger rear wheel. The wheel does not move laterally (there's no play), which would be a typical symptom of a bad bearing. When I roll it, it comes to a stop pretty quickly. There is something causing friction inside, and it sounds like two metal pieces sliding on each other.

I tried the same with the left rear wheel and everything was the same except much softer. Less noise and less friction.

What do you think, CV joint, bearing, or something else?

Thank you and sorry for my English. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your going to get resistance spinning the wheel.
Today's hub bearings are not the same as yesterday's inner and outer wheel bearings. Due to the design, I doubt you'd notice any play in a bad bearing.

There are plenty of rear end complaints, but far more wheel bearing complaints out there.

Take the wheel off, take hold of the lug and spin the hub. This should help you find the noise. It could be as simple as your rotors/brakes or it could be as bad as your rear went up. Keep us posted.

Well, it turned out to be the bearing. I guess it's true that although the wheel doesn't have any play, the bearing may still be bad.

I changed it following this tutorial http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251915. I couldn't get the lateral link out so ended up I disconnecting it from the other end. Took it to NAPA to get it replaced and noise is gone!

Thank you.

Well, it turned out to be the bearing. I guess it's true that although the wheel doesn't have any play, the bearing may still be bad.

I changed it following this tutorial http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251915. I couldn't get the lateral link out so ended up I disconnecting it from the other end. Took it to NAPA to get it replaced and noise is gone!

Thank you.

Did you have the NAPA at Cobb Prkwy and Keene St do it?

Did you have the NAPA at Cobb Prkwy and Keene St do it?

I took it to the one in Buford Highway. You just need to make sure they have a workshop, since some of them are just stores. By the way, their workshop doesn't open on weekends!

Back