• Register Today It's free!

How To: Make Your Own Eyelids

tgrfly

Reaction score
City, State
Muncie, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Ford Explorer Limited
I know it doesn't seem like the truck would look good with a set of eyelids, but I did a photoshop and it looks quite nice.

X_reedit_stripe.jpg

This isn't the first time I've done this. I did this on my previous car too because they didn't make them and I wanted a set. This project isn't all that difficult, but fiberglassing skills and knowledge is something that is needed.

DSC_1045.jpg

So here is where your project starts. I had the stock set of headlights from my truck so I didn't tape them the entire way off. If you are going to use the headlights from your truck, I suggest taping them all the way off. The only "special" thing you really need for the is the Meguiars Mold Release Wax. I bought this from my local auto paint store, but its not something they are going to have on hand. It can also be found on Amazon. The fiberglass material I used was the tight weave cloth. You can buy a package at any auto store and you would have enough to do a couple sets easily if you mess up or want to try a different design.

Once you have your lights taped off, take your cloth and cut yourself a piece that will cover most of the headlight. Keep in mind that when you start laying the resin on the fiberglass and go around the corners and such you may need a little extra. Rather have too much material than not enough. Once you have the one piece cut, just use it to cut another one for the other headlight.

After you have that done, use a shop towel or your choice of applicator and take the Mold Release Wax and apply it just like you would normal wax. Lay it on kind of thin, let it haze up, and then apply another coat. This just ensures the fiberglass and resin doesn't stick to the tape and makes it easier to pull your mold off the headlight.

When you are getting ready to start putting down your resin, lay down a few dabs or smears on the tape so the cloth has something to stick to when you lay it onto the surface. I went ahead and cut slits to the top corners of the lights in the cloth so I didn't have to fight with the material around the corners. Worked quite well when you have to lay the material down on the sides. When you are laying the resin down on the cloth, make sure it gets enough on it. You want the cloth to basically look soaked. If you don't get enough resin in some spots you will have weak spots in the eyelids.

Here is the driver's side after laying down the resin:
DSC_1048.jpg

And likewise for the passenger side:
DSC_1056.jpg

DSC_1057.jpg

Be sure to give the fiberglass plenty of time to cure and set up. Here is the drivers side after setting up and curing for about 6-7hrs.
DSC_1051.jpg

DSC_1052.jpg

Once you have both headlights done you can use a marker and draw out your design. The tough part about that is making sure they match.
DSC_1060.jpg

Now obviously mine are not done, but I will be updating with pictures every step of the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..I like the looks of your X and always like to see more creative people customizing their rides..:biggthump

Why not just tape and paint the lenses? It seems like a lot of effort to fiberglass them up when the end results probably look better painting the headlight itself.

because you cant undo it, if you make the fiberglass ones then if you end u not liking them at some point then you can remove them

because you cant undo it, if you make the fiberglass ones then if you end u not liking them at some point then you can remove them

or if the law makes you remove them...

Why not just tape and paint the lenses? It seems like a lot of effort to fiberglass them up when the end results probably look better painting the headlight itself.

Plus paint doesn't stick well to the plastic lenses and chips off after time. This makes it easier to fix that problem if it arises on the eyelids and paint turns out better on fiberlgass.

is flaking still an issue with nightshade?

@JoshMcMadMac if you wanted to just paint them, then use nightshade in multiple layers instead of paint

@JoshMcMadMac if you wanted to just paint them, then use nightshade in multiple layers instead of paint

The whole idea of eyelids though is the color match. VHT will really just work with black.

ah, but wouldnt matched paint stick better to another paint source?

ah, but wouldnt matched paint stick better to another paint source?

It would, but it would kinda defeat the purpose to spray VHT and then cover it with paint. I've never used VHT on headlights. I'm sure it would stick fine without any other paint source. I don't know how resistant it is to chipping, plus the VHT is transparent. As long as you prep the surface right the paint will stick, just high chance its going chip with the abuse the front end takes from rocks and bugs.

*I am not suggesting to paint the lens of the headlights. IMO the right way to do it is making your own eyelids.*

im not planning on making eyelids just seeing possible alternatives

You can easily remove paint from lenses, usually with just a little paint thinner. Worst case it involves a few minutes of wetsanding and a little buffing.

On the other hand, you have to secure the eyelid to the headlight somehow. That requires pretty good adhesive, which could potentially make a mess of the headlight. I also have read several first-hand accounts of people losing eyelids at higher speeds!

or if the law makes you remove them...
Why would that occur? Unless you do something stupid to cover up your indicators there should be nothing they could site you for.

Plus paint doesn't stick well to the plastic lenses and chips off after time. This makes it easier to fix that problem if it arises on the eyelids and paint turns out better on fiberlgass.
Paint sticks great to lenses! A little bit of prep work is all that makes the difference.

Hey, I am all for ingenuity and making stuff. This just seems like a solution looking for a problem, though. It is easier and better looking just to paint the lenses, not to mention how much quicker it is.

On the other hand, you have to secure the eyelid to the headlight somehow. That requires pretty good adhesive, which could potentially make a mess of the headlight. I also have read several first-hand accounts of people losing eyelids at higher speeds!

All it takes is a couple pieces of body moulding tape....:dunno:

Here are my updates...

Got both molds cut today, BUT I'm going to have to redo the drivers side mold.

The passenger side eyelid looks quite nice, just needs some sanding down on the surface to smooth everything out, maybe some more resin and fiberglass to fill in some spots and it should be good.

DSC_1061.jpg

I cut too much off on the driver side so I'm gonna have to remold and recut it. No big deal, I've got plenty of material and resin to do it.

DSC_1063.jpg

If you look close enough you can see how the passenger side eyelid goes down farther on the headlight than the driver side.

i think they look amazing, you might change my thoughts about making eyelids

Now if you could come up with a way to motorize them, you could wink at other trucks you like.

Made a little bit of progress today. Been trying to get them to match each other all week. They are in the closing stages before primer and paint. Need a little bit more filler to smooth things out and then they will be ready.

412743_10151817774070217_997510292_o.jpg

461036_10151817776450217_1724316850_o.jpg

473229_10151817775870217_1151578192_o.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back