• Register Today It's free!

NOT a snow day for my X

Cjpooch

Reaction score
City, State
Saginaw, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
15" of snow and 12" on the way here in MI. 4x4 Explorer plus brand new tires, drove like a champ. I'm one of the only people at work in my office of 400. Anyone else's X braving the weather?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of course, its gonna take a lot more snow then this to keep her sitting at home. There was no way that I was gonna miss out on this. The X drove like a champ as well passing all kinds of other trucks and SUVs on the road this morning.

We didn't get quite that much, only about 5-6" at most but lots of blowing and below-zero temps, preceeded by an ice storm has made it treacherous, to say the least. But my Ex. has been a trooper, going through and around it all.

Our work day was shortened a little yesterday so those worried about driving could get home before sundown. Understandable. I'm sure many will not show today due to the lousy commuting conditions.

It's the first 4x4 I've ever owned in 40 years of driving in Nebraska winters. Told my wife last night I'll never be without a 4x4 again!

And despite all the problems listed on this forum about the 02 model, mine has performed flawlessly up to this point, considering its' mileage. I couldn't be happier with it. (Well, that is, unless it somehow morphed into an Expedition.)

95 Sport with slipping transmission and most recently this morning the 4wd/4Lo lights giving the flash of death. I drove it like it was any normal 2WD car and took is slow and made it in just fine.

The ground clearance definitely helped since we're up to about 2' and change of snow plus 3+ inches of rain on top of a few inches of ice.

Even in 2WD these trucks do surprisingly well. The only thing I'd say, for those of us with Sports is to put some weight in the back so the rear doesn't want to slide out from under ya!

I'm driving an 02' as well. Only owed it about 3 months, but haven't had any problems yet. Except replacing the Oil sending unit (thanks to this forum for diagnosing, and a step by step walkthrough). Just rolled 114,000 yesterday. Not the first 4x4 I've owed, but I was same way, first 4x4 I had I said I would never go back. It's just too nice.

aahh just put a submarine periscope on y'alls trucks, then you'll be able to handle 8+ feet!! :p:

Just hit 230,000 today with a foot of snow everywhere. Highways aren't really plowed and the back roads, forget about it. 4x4 still works which is AWESOME with the mileage. No slippage at all. Not many people out at all

My wife drives the explorer but she didn't go in to work today because our daughter is sick. Anywhere we decide to go today would likely be in the S4, 340hp, snow tires and quattro can go pretty much anywhere.

Yesterday wasn't TOO bad, here in north east NJ. We only had about 3-4", plus a little freezing rain (just a little).

Unfortunately, it was bad enough, that many of the idiots on the road (w/ and w/o 4wd) should have just stayed home. It took me about an hour to go 1-1/2 miles. I was crawling so slow, in my '93 Ranger, that I had to use 4LO, just so I could move slow enough to avoid constantly clutching/declutching or stalling out. At one point, after things started moving a little, I was in 5th gear, in 4LO, doing about 20mph. Kind of a weird feeling.

I could see 3 (THREE!!) school buses ahead of me, slowing things up. I mean, seriously? Why were they even out? Close the school, or at least delay opening until after rush hour. I also saw numerous vehicles, which were obviously 4x4's, sliding all over the place and spinning their rear wheels. Umm, you have 4wd. Use it, moron.:rolleyes: Oh yeah, also, NEVER slow down before a hill. That's a good way to lose traction and slide. Maintain momentum, be smooth, and also NEVER break in the MIDDLE of a corner. That's a good way to spin out.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

It just kills me to see traffic backed up because the 4wd vehicles are held up by 2wd cars/trucks whose drivers should have known better, as well as drivers that just don't know how to drive in snow/slick conditions.:mad::mad::mad:
I propose a new law allowing drivers of 4wd vehicles to summarily run any vehicle getting in the way, during a snow storm, into the nearest ditch.

I drove to work through 14 - 15 inches of snow in out subdivision. I got stuck twice because of the stupid AdvanceTrac. As soon as I shut that off, I was able to keep the power up and I got out og there. Only one at my office today.

I also got to blow through a 5 - 6 foot snow drift from my subdivision onto the main road. I should have taken a video, I felt like I was in a movie.

18+ inches of snow. Got stuck trying to go around a PT Cruiser that was abandoned in the middle of the street. I plowed 30 yards in 4ft drift before I go stuck. The snow was packed completely under the truck.

yeah down here in coldwater,mi the tristate area lots of snow and drifts at 4:30am no problem, I have the Hankook Dynapro rf10 and love them:D

The snow drifts are bad. When I opened my garage the snow was up to the tailgate on my X. Thought about trying to back right through it but decided shoveling was a better option. I'm gonna take some pics tonight of the X in all the snow. Would love to see what others are driving through and what their X's are capable of!

The drive home was very interesting, well I mean in the sense that there was a lot more snow on the ground. The X plowed through everything that today threw at it, well other then then packed snow waiting for me at the edge of the driveway. Advancetrac kept killing the engine completely which in turn got me stuck twice. That was partly my fault as well since I was going way to slow, never really gave the truck a chance (Trying to squeeze the truck between 2 other cars in reverse). Turned advancetrac off and put it down into 4x4 low and well it just plowed through the pile of packed snow and the huge drift in the driveway. I go to get out of the truck and the snow was right at the bottom of the door, I felt good easily going through that stuff.

This is the first 4x4 I have ever owned, I LOVE IT.

Back